It works! One more question :)

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Brylk1830, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Brylk1830

Brylk1830 Junior Member

Hello again,
    I want to thank everyone for helping me along the way, beginning with putting a new deck on my aluminum fishing boat, and up to finally connecting both battery banks. Today I was able to finish wiring in the batterylink ACR and so far everything seems to be working well!

The reason i've created yet another post with another question is because I plan on going on a fishing trip this weekend and although all the wiring is connected and everything is in tip top shape I am missing one 15 amp inline fuse on the negative 8 guage wire that connects to the 3 slot on the batterylink and ends at the negative bus bar. The reason I haven't put it in yet is because I forgot to order another fuse holder big enough to be wired into 8 guage wire and so it will take a little while for it to get here.

Basically, I'm just wondering if it would be safe to use the boat with the batterylink connected for the weekend without the fuse in place?

Thanks again all

2. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Not sure why you have a 15A fuse with 8g wire, but
    you could get a fuse holder at any auto parts store
    with 10g that will handle 15A with no problems!

If you overload it it will still blow the fuse first!

Also, you could do a temp connection and replace
    it later!

http://www.wiringproducts.com/index...et=d137.html&gclid=CMTJo-SmmJUCFQQrFQodFWbegA

The answer to your question, NO, Do not connect it and go out
    on the water with no fuse in the circuit!!!!!!!

3. Brylk1830

Brylk1830 Junior Member

I was thinking the same thing about having a 15 amp fuse in an 8 gauge wire but it seems to be what the instructions show is needed.

http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/docs/386

The instructions are listed above, i'm wondering if I need to run an 8 guage wire for the connection that begins at slot 3 and runs to the negative bus bar. I can't tell if the instructions call for an 8 gauge wire at that connection point like it does for the other connections?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.