It was great while it lasted...

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatBuilder, Apr 9, 2011.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

sHADE YOUR TENT WITH A REFLACTIVE MATERIAL AND BUILD A MOVEABLE CUBICAL WITH INSULATION (sorry for the caps) and AC and dehumidify that so you can always step back into the cubical to cool off. Heat stroke is a real danger...............especially if your older.

2. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Cat needs a fix that will not cost him time. A dehue and maybe two portable ACs set waist high that he can drag along with him from work area to work area. I had over 300 dehues running at a condo due to mold issues, one large one will do the trick ,but rent will be high for the whole summer . I would buy 2 small ones from lowes first and see if they pull enough moisture out. If not then plan on renting one when you do a 1/2 hull and use the small ones in isolated areas when you are doing small layups. Build a dry box to keep your glass in and run the dehue inside the box before a layup. Put an exust fan in your tent to push out hot air out and pull in cool, ice up high in corners will help. You can still buy galvanised water coolers ,this will be quicker than building a box, just uncrew the spout and add a drain hose. rick

3. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Better yet have an air gap between the tarp and the tent. heat radiation below the tarp would be carried away by the ouside air current instead of radiating from surfaces inside the tent, or from the tent roof itself.

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

rberry (rick) has really nailed it. I am not interested in doing anything that isn't building a boat at this point.

I also don't want to "try" things. Huge waste of time. This isn't some hobby, this is my business and my life here and this boat needs to be finished.

I think I outlined the plan several posts back and showed pictures.

I believe everything is taken care of with the post I made showing the cooling vest, refrigerator for epoxy and dehumidifier. Working night shift will also help.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Wishing you the best.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ditto from me-- Geo.

7. CatBuilder

Sorry if my post sounds a bit short. I've been up since 3AM. Did the night shift today and ended work at about 3PM. Only one break in those 12 hours.

I ground an overlap, then glassed the bilge from bow to stern, then applied bog to fill the weave of the heavy triax. No energy to type.

8. hoytedow

If you work too long without rest you will start making mistakes that take even longer to fix. Schedule yourself some short breaks or even a siesta from time to time for the sake of your project if not yourself. You must try to stay fresh to do a good job. When I get too tired or let my blood sugar drop I make stupid mistakes and become hard to live with. Just a suggestion. I am really not trying to preach to you.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Catbuilder, we're not deserting you just standing by giving you breathing room. Hoytedow's suggestion good one--Pace yourself --you actually make better progress--5 yrs. from now it will make no difference. Wish i were there to give you a hand--Geo.

10. CatBuilder

Thanks, guys. I was unable to take a break because the epoxy clock was ticking all day.

I was up early to grind, then immediately started the 45' long, full 50" wide lamination. It was in the bilge, so peel ply doesn't work well on it. That means when I was done I had to bog it to fill the weave.

All epoxy clock all day.

11. CatBuilder

Thanks, guys. I was unable to take a break because the epoxy clock was ticking all day.

I was up early to grind, then immediately started the 45' long, full 50" wide lamination. It was in the bilge, so peel ply doesn't work well on it. That means when I was done I had to bog it to fill the weave.

All epoxy clock all day.

12. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Agreed with Viking. I know you're on a schedule, but it will do no good if you kill yourself in the progress. I too wish I was closer and could come lend a hand.

13. CatBuilder

Anybody who wants to lend a hand... REPEAT... ANYBODY is more than welcome! ha ha ha

Please do come on by and I'll have plenty of fun boat building going on.

Anyway, I'm back dabbling with the air conditioning thing again. It would appear my electrical usage estimate was way, WAY off because a website said a 10 ton unit drew 410 amps at 208VAC.

Apparently, they really draw somewhere around 25 amps, which puts me with a monthly utility bill of $250... about 10x less than my estimate.

The hardware is still very expensive. I wonder if there are used 5 ton units around?

14. hoytedow

The company I work for won't sell used a/c units.

15. CatBuilder

Do people mostly just keep A/C units until they die? Is that why?

I haven't seen many (or any) used ones around.

Can your company quote me on a pair of 5 ton packaged units? Boat Design discount?? ;)

:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.