Oar Design

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by barrow_matt, Apr 21, 2011.

1. barrow_matt

barrow_matt Junior Member

I have just got a 10'6 rowing boat, 4'6 beam minus a set of oars. having looked online the cost seems excessive so I plan to try and make my own.

I would be interested if anyone has any tips or advice regarding design, materials and size. I'm looking to row reasonable distances for up to a few hours and at sea if that makes much difference.

My initial thoughts are around 8ft long, pine shaft with a slightly curved plywood blade (macon style). And a decent coat of exterior varnish.

I'm not sure about the blade dimensions, 5-6" at the tip, tapering up?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I just made an oar the other day 40mm square Merranti (cost 2 quid) and triple 40mm at the bottom. When the epoxy dried I used a 4inch grinder with a 16 grit disc and 1/2 hour later I had an oar.

The 16 grit disc was like cutting butter with a soldering iron. I had never made one before and it was simple--simple.

Oar length etc is all on the internet. Americans call it a paddle!!!

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im making a modification to them today. I have bought some cheap 45mm internal dia fishing line rings. Those cheap red and blue things that you keep a handline on.

Instead of the leather wrapping I intend to Sikaflex these hand line rings where it wears in the oar locks which I made yesterday.

The rings snap onto the oar locks which are made from 9mm stainless steel in a horse shoe shape and a stem welded on, small holes at the bottom of the stem were drilled in 1/8 for key rings as locks.

The oars will not jump out of the oar locks but with a good tug they will.

Bending 9mm on a 6 inch vice on the dock was not easy.

Apart from the boat rowing like crap the oar mechanism is fine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.