Isuzu engine marine conversion.

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by inchman, Jul 24, 2006.

1. inchman

inchman New Member

Hello, this is my first post but I have been reading this site for a while. I have a 21 ft bayliner trophy with a 3liter mercuiser engine and a omc o/ drive. I will convert this to diesel over the in comming winter. does any body know where I could get marinising equipment for the isuzu 4 cylinder 2.8 or 3.1 engine.

thanks in advance Gary

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Try Lancing marine, somewhere near Southampton. They might even pursuade you to get a better engine.

3. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

Isuzu 4JB1 marinization

Hello,

We do a marinization kit for the Isuzu 4JB1 which also fits for the turbo version of this engine.

We make

1) a cast iron water cooled exhaust,
    2) aluminium heat exchanger with CuNi core which mount on top of the exhaust.
    3) a spacer ring to take the bellhousing of the gearbox and mount the aft engine feet
    4) special cast engine feet
    5) Modify the altenator mounting

The impeller pump can be bought from Jabsco. Our marinizer find their own piping and controlls.

We use this configuration with a Koysan gearbox and our small Levi Drives 170-150.

Works well for our customers.

Cheers Rudi

4. Cleopatra23

Cleopatra23 New Member

Sorry Gary I don't know but I saw a 2.8 litre Isuzu turbo on eBay that had been marinised (claimed 140BHP). The seller who had used it in a 23 foot Cleopatra was giving it the elbow for being too slow. He was also giving the elbow to 6.2 litre GM V8 diesel that was also too slow (they aren't that powerful actually! although the new GM 6.5 with turbo is a horse of a different colour but $$$$$$$!) The Cleopatra owner that was selling his old engines finally was happy with 200HP. (Cleopatras weigh about 2 tons) I don't know how much power you need for a Bayliner but would recommend the 3.1 rather than the 2.8 as you can always throttle back a big engine.
    You could ask Mr Bellamy at Lancing Marine. If he doesn't know nobody knows. Best regards from David.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.