Appropriate anchor-ISO rules

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by Ambitious, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Ambitious

Ambitious Naval Architect

Does anybody know which part of ISO rules can help me to determine right anchor size for my boat.

thanks

2. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

I think your best bet is to follow the anchor mfgr's recommendations. If you are still in doubt, try contacting the manufacturer & get a direct recommendation for your specific boat. At least that way the manufacturer is accepting some liability if anything goes wrong. ;)

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

ISO 15084 I think..

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

ISO 15084:2003 does not define anchor weights or the length of chains and lines. There's no an ISO rule for that, up to my knowledge.

Although conceived to try to determine the best anchoring tackle for the Banjer 37, perhaps you can find some help here: http://www.xente.mundo-r.com/motorsailers/id27.htm

Cheers.

5. Ambitious

Ambitious Naval Architect

Thanks for reply, I have also try to find it in ISO but without success. I found some guidelines in Germanischer Lloyd.

6. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Yes, GL does have rules on that, but I do not like their results very much. See discussion in the mentioned motorsailers web page.

Cheers.

7. gadoo20042004

gadoo20042004 New Member

I agree with guillermo, GL results have a very Exaggeration and i agree with robherc in using the direct way of the recommandations of the manufacturer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.