very old boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 60telcraft, Jun 17, 2006.

1. 60telcraft

60telcraft New Member

I'm not actually expecting anyone to know the answer to this due to the age and make of the boat, but does anyone know what type of resin may have been used in the construction of a 1960 Telcraft runabout? I am looking to do some repair work to the hull and would like to know what I am trying to attach to.

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

any boat of that age will be polyester resin , you could use poly for the repair and it will work fine, but epoxy is better will bond the best the only problem with epoxy is that gelcoat wont stick to it so u will have to paint the repair area

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

seconded

The hull will be polyester resin. To achieve the highest strength repair bonds use epoxy resin for repairs. Make sure to grind out the repair areas to remove all gell coat and paint. Make tapers to blend in the repair layup to the original structure. Not a bad ideal to alternate mat with your structural cloth and definitly lay down mat first to repair. I use 1208 or 1708 biax fabrics for lots or build/repair work. These fabrics have a mat layer sewn to fabric which buys good layer to layer adhesion. If the boat has hull damage such as cracks/splits in a chine, lay up more glass on the inside to reinforce your site repair..... Just roll and tip Awlgrip to bring the whole project back to ship shape.

T

4. 60telcraft

60telcraft New Member

Thank you very much! I had guessed that it was polyester due to the way the structure has aged, but needed a second opinion/s. I'll post some pics later, (my wife kidnapped the camera). I know I have some serious structural issues to attend to....i.e. the transom has been cut completely from the rest of the hull due to severe delamination of not only the transom, but the floor as well.

5. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

take your time and do her right u have a lot of work ahead of your self, do all the serious strucural first the transom and floor also check your stringers once you have her shipshape dont worry about the paint till then ,the boat is polyester so poly will work just fine you have a lot to repair and epoxy will cost a lot but if you have the cash and want to spend it you could go epoxy,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.