ISO of help addys to help me with building ..

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by docpain, Nov 16, 2010.

1. docpain

docpain New Member

Im wanting to try to finish cutting up enough timber this Fall/Winter to start building a fairly small 2 masted SLOOP (or most likely a KETCH) does anyone have any idea where I can surf up some free plans or relatively cheap??
    Im serious about the project but being disabled on SS it makes it sorta hard to buy/get the best of all...thanx for any help guys (and guyettes) :D
    Doc

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Is the first act of the building project best skimped on? Do you really want to save money on the most important aspect of the design? Lets say the project is a 18' boat, maybe a ketch, schooner, cat ketch, etc. and after all is said and done, including a battery for the trolling motor, dock lines and fenders to keep her sides mare free, you spend a few grand on materials and maybe jobbing out a few of the more difficult aspects of the build. Is a $50 or $100 bill, for a set of plans going to make a significant impact on the overall cost of the project? Look I have plans for multiple mast boats under 20' and I don't charge much for them. They come with instructions, tips, trick, supplier lists, etc. Do you really want to build from a set of free plans, where the designer is dead, so you can't call and ask questions or the plans aren't complete, but looked good 60 years ago on the pages of Popular Mechanics magazine?

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hey docpain !!!...surf the Internet...plenty of stock building plans available for a very low price. Have a look at Paul Gartside... artistic designer of fabulous boats designed for wood and the stock plans are cheap as chips !!!.

http://www.gartsideboats.com/cat.php

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

A really valid comment PAR.

I would call it sheer madness to skimp on a well designed plan. (but I have none to sell)

There are a few more you might consider valuable docpain. Lookup

Glen-L
    Bateau.com
    Atkin boat plans
    Selway Fisher

to have a wider choice.

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.