Please help identify sailboat hull design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by randymacbc, Jun 5, 2008.

1. randymacbc

randymacbc New Member

Howdy all
    I wonder if anybody can identify the design of this hull? Its a 30 footer with a 10' beam that was custom built I believe and never rigged. I'm a cabinet maker by trade and not a boat builder but this looks like a well built hull and deck that I am considering picking up and working on but no plans are available and the original builder has passed away so there is no information available to me as to the design. Its a little hard to start talking to people about rigging without knowing what to call her.

Attached Files:

2. amolitor

amolitor Junior Member

It looks like a piece of crap with negative value, to me.

The keel is weirdly tiny, and it looks suspiciously like someone has hacked out part of whatever it was made of first and replaced it with a hunk of lead(?) in a (probably hopeless) effort to make the thing stay upright.

Most of these "project boats" are merely money pits.

If it had actually sailed at one point in its life, it might be a fun project to bring back to life -- still a big financial loss, but educational and fun if you're in to that kind of thing. If it did ever sail, I bet it sailed badly.

If, as you suggest, it never did sail, I suspect that it also never will sail. The underbody just looks wrong, and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I think it IS just wrong.

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

It looks like it could be a John Brandylmeir (sp?) design. He is or was a well known BC yacht designer and his boats sailed really well. But I don't know anything about this particular design. I am sure there are a lot of people in BC that can tell you something, you just have to search them out. Maybe Google can help, too.

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

I should have Googled before posting.... his name is John Brandlmayr.

5. amolitor

amolitor Junior Member

Out of curiousity, what makes you think it's a Brandlmayr design?

I poked around, and all the designs I found seemed to favor a more traditional sheerline and rather more rake to the stem. This thing here looks like a sort of bloated version of an Express 27 -- an attempt at "modern" and "racy".

6. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

While sailing near Campbell River about 35 years ago a 24 foot sailboat designed by Brandlmayr sailed by us quite handily on a similar sized boat. We tied up near it for the night. So I got a good look at it. We never saw the owner. It was a cold molded hull, reverse sheer, light displacement, firm turn of the bilge, separated fin and rudder; all in all, very similar to this 30 footer. So that's why I guess it might be a Brandlmayr design and also why I think it will sail very well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.