Barge Downflooding?

Discussion in 'Stability' started by mactavish, Feb 1, 2023.

1. mactavish

mactavish Junior Member

Hi,

I would like to know how to determine the downflooding angle of the barge?

I can't seem to decide because barge is a box shape vessel.

From what i know so far. When the barge manhole (blue rectangle) hits the waterline that will be my Downflooding angle?

Because i know deck immersion is different compared to downflooding. Where as deck immersion angle is the immersion of the very edge of the barge onto the water line.

Please see below my sample sketch. if not kindly correct me. (Midship View)

[​IMG]

can someone provide a simple sketch.

krgds,

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

If the blue barge manhole has an effective and watertight cover / seal on it, then no water will enter the barge, so the barge will not flood, even if the cover is underwater.
    But if somebody had forgotten to replace the manhole covers, then yes, your downflooding angle would be that angle when water starts to flow into the barge through the open hole.

This might help to explain it -
    Angle of flooding https://www.wartsila.com/encyclopedia/term/angle-of-flooding

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.