planing hull design literature

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Toplana, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Toplana

Toplana Junior Member

I will be very grateful if someone can recomand me some planing hull literature, because i working on 42feet mahogany craft design. thanks...

2. dulitha

dulitha New Member

I have a project to design a boat hull with a fixed circumference and maximum volume can you suggest a method to do that?

3. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Toplana - somewhere on this forum Chris Ostlind (I think) has posted the 1964 SNAME paper by Savitsky, which is a great starting point for understanding planing. If you use the search function I'm sure you'll find it.

4. Toplana

Toplana Junior Member

Thanks PI

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

In addition to Savitsky Papers:

High Speed Small Craft by Peter DuCane, Available through Amazon and ABE Books

Naval Architecture of Planing Hulls by Lindsay Lord, Long out of print but sometimes available, Usually very expensive

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

If you search ebay for Lord's book you may just get lucky. I picked up a copy a while back for about USD 25 + postage.

7. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Will, I got lucky also. I was offered one from a search one for $250 and a couple weeks later was able to buy a copy in excellent condition for $22.50. Prices of used books vary a lot, depending on whether the seller thinks they can convince a buyer that it is the last one in existence.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.