New Guy

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Buck, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Buck

Buck Junior Member

Just introducing myself. From looking around this site seems I can learn a lot. I'm in the process of redoing a 1972 31' Trojan express. I have visions of grandeur. Wish list is twin Styer deisels w/ Arneson drives and adding about 1' to bow and plumbind it. Also raising an area in the cabin area. Also want to build in swim platform. Sounds radical I know but hey I've only told you a small part of the dream so far. I know you probably think I'm nuts, but if I totally leved with you about my dream (plan?) I would remove all doubt. Maybe I'll get my nerve up later on and tell you the rest if I the comments arn't too harsh.

2. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Welcome!!!
    Don't worry we'll togo easy on you....... ;) What horsepower Styer's are you looking at?? What are you planning on using your boat for(Fishing, Crusing, etc)???Hope it all goes well

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

No such thing as a nut in these parts, :D :D - we'll enjoy watching the your project progress - just so long as you post pics of it along the way....

4. Buck

Buck Junior Member

Thanks for the encouragement guys. She's pretty rough right now, in fact totally gutted. Good time to take some before pics. I'll try to learn how to post them. When (if) I get her done I plan to fish and cruise the Chesapeake maybe go down the Ditch to the Keys for a spell. Hey Nomad, I said the Styer's were on the wish list. Don't know if they'll materialize but 260's would be nice. Anybody want to contribute?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You are at a good point in your project to think about weight. The biggest mistake I commonly see is adding stuff to a boat until it won't plane regardless of power. The trick is to keep a weight schedule of everything you put in. The weight of the hull and deck is easy to get now. Add the engines and drive, and figure your pounds per horsepower.

6. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Quote: "You are at a good point in your project to think about weight. The biggest mistake I commonly see is adding stuff to a boat until it won't plane regardless of power. "

Definitely!
    For your delectation and encouragement, here is my personal weight estimate spreadsheet, complete with some weights for an un-named boat of indefinite size ;-)

Steve

Attached Files:

7. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

And, since Jeff hasn't set this up so you can attach _@_ files at once (nothing opersonal, Jeff....)

Here is the list of the weight "groups" used in the sheet. They are not vital to success, but will at least help explain why it is set up that way. Anything that says "Sail" or "Mast" or "halyard" you can just ignore if you are an iggerant stink-potter ;-))

Steve (again)

Attached Files:

8. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

(should have it that way in a month or two at the latest... once the cold weather arrives I'll start getting a lot more done on the site again ;) )

And welcome to the forums Buck :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.