Is this still considered an RIB?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kach22i, Oct 2, 2007.

1. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Well, a wave from the wrong direction and the occupants will depend on inflation for buoyancy :p

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Hmmm - interesting.... On that basis Ike, you would have to say that the boat posted by DanishBagger isn't a RIB either.....
    I understand your logic, but I'm not sure I could agree with your conclusion. It's true that this 'boat' would probably float without the tubes inflated (so would most other RIB's that I can think of) but I'm not too sure that it would stay upright.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Ask your selves does the description fit the letters?

Is it ridgid? "R" Yes!

Is it a boat? "B" "Yes"

the only problem appears 'is part of it inflatable?' looks like it to me, but hell what do I know - your the experts - me I'd say "yes" over to you

Yep it's a R.I.B.!!

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

What are the guild lines for measuring it's length and width?

I'm starting a new related thread on this topic.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

At the risk of being strongly disagreed with, I like the RIB/not RIB in question. It has a kind of no-nonsense jeepiness about it, practical and elegant in its own way. Not shaped "as if" it needs the extra work it would entail to build it with curves. I don't see any wasted efforts or any superfluous effort in any case. I even like the fact that the taping shows. Very efficient and workmanlike.

Alan

6. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

I like Ike's comment. RIB as a concept is (or was) intended to enable slender hard shell hulls with decent deadrise to remain stable at rest. Therefore the inflatable tubes should be in contact with the water at rest. Anything else is just a boat with a built in fender.

7. Bardo

Bardo New Member

New guy here, and no naval architect, so excuse the intrusion....I am used to the term RHIB, for rigid hulled inflatable boat. And as Nojjan says, the sponsons would be in contact with the water in order for it to meet the inflatable boat requirement. Anything above that is a bumper (IMHHHO).

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

9. Bardo

Bardo New Member

:rolleyes: Kach,
    Although my background is on the military side, I can certainly see the attraction of the civilian RIB approach. No cracks other than the obvious one...

10. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I'd actually prefer to be on the military RIB rather than the white one in that picture. I wonder what that says about me …

11. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

LOL!:D

Eeww....

As I said earlier, I understand Ike's point of view, but in recent times RIB manufacturers have tended to lift the tubes somewhat, so that there is a small section of topsides visible between the chine and the bottom of the tube. Amongst other things, this lessens the wetted surface at speed. Browse through some of the better known manufacturers and you'll see that except for the smaller tenders, most have tubes that are clear of the water at rest, or that only just make contact at their aft end. Are none of these considered RIB's anymore?

12. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

14. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

Will - "...Are none of these considered RIB's anymore?"

Those that at some load condition use the inflated part for boyancy are RIB's, the others are not. If I strap a inflatable tube on the side of say a Riviera is it then a RIB ???

15. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

There's a boat in that photo?!? Well, I'll be....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.