Electric motors for solar-powered boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Twointense13, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Twointense13

Twointense13 New Member

My group and I are designing a solar powered boat for class and I was wondering what type I should use for a max voltage of 12. What hull design would go for the longest time and the fastest. Please respond. Thanx

2. tinkz

tinkz New Member

drivetrain

I'd "liberated" the motor from a totalled "freedom scooter" is about same as motors from those electric skateboard toys. theyre about 4" diameter 10 pole 24vdc and spin about 2500 rpm with a LOT of torque, and really dont draw much current. used a 5/16" shaft (fits PERFECT into 3/8" hard brake line), direct drive, to a prop from young manufacturing, http://www.youngprops.com/

those scooter-skateboard toys run with gel cells and have a lot of range for their weight, the motors are pretty darn efficient is why they come to mind for playing with something to be solar powered. I'd built a kids boat, ran the motor on 12v for 11-1200 rpm to the prop.

dont know if this is the kind of power/efficiency youre looking for, but it worked really well.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

tinkz,

Check out the date on the post you've responded to.

All the best,

-Tom

1 person likes this.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome, tinkz. lol

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.