is this normal

Discussion in 'Materials' started by cme4pain, May 23, 2009.

1. cme4pain

cme4pain Junior Member

Was painting my bilge and where the paint had warn off the glass I found these cracks in the mufflers. I removed a litle more paint to see what was going on. Cracks are on the inside. Wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Is it possible for me to wrap with new glass and epoxy resin?

2. cme4pain

cme4pain Junior Member

found these cracks in my mufflers. They are on the inside.. But they have me kind of worried cause they are below the waterline.

Can I reglass the outside of these?? I have some 24oz glass and a gallon of epoxy resin left over from a previous project.

Attached Files:

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

This, obviously are cracks related to stress. Not to chemical (alcohol) or wearing issues.
    You should first find the source of the issue before deciding on a solution.

A bit more info on the installation would make it easier to narrow the prob!? Please provide.
    Regards
    Richard

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Yes Apex, they are stress cracks, and the resin looks very wet too, may I suggest that they are in fact because the resin was so rich that the fractures occurred. I would wrap them up again in more glass as you suggest yourself. Once the pipes ate wet from the exhaust they do not get very hot at all in fact you can actually use PVC pipes for templates, and some have even just left the PVC inside anyhow, with no apparent bad results.

That is why I would just rewrap them with a few ozs and not be too worried about them.

5. cme4pain

cme4pain Junior Member

As far as the install, the mufflers are in a shamrock cc. I have corrugated hose from the exhaust manifolds for about 3 feet then the mufflers connect to the thru hulls with a coupling. Mufflers are strapped to the stringers.

So there is no flammability issue by re wrapping with glass? I understand they only get as hot as what is going through them. Flammability was my only concern as far as rewrapping. I think the 24oz glass I haveleft will pretty much make them bulletproof.

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

as they are wet exhausts, there would only be a problem if the water pump failed, that would be a serious issue, but it would be anyhow.

You can install a simple temp sender on the pipes if you so wish, make it trigger an alarm buzzer, or better still put a temp on the water injection point, it will be hot very fast without the cooling and may save the day

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Masali had some experience with pvc pipes in his exhaust system, said they did fine if I remember, but Ild recommend asking him how it went and what if any troubles he had

just a thought
    B

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

PVC is not rated to the temperature for and exhaust application. It works only as long as it doesn't run dry for any period of time.
    Have you seen the cracks before? The pattern is typical of a crushed pipe. That is someone stepping on it.
    Epoxy is not the right resin for it. High temperature/fire resistant polyester is the correct material. If you can't get it, use the standard polyester. It is going to cause a problem with the rubber hoses because you'll increase the diameter. At the end, new pipes may be the best.

9. cme4pain

cme4pain Junior Member

There is reducers on each end already. I would only be reglassing the center section. Tubes are 4 inch and reduce to 3. As far as stepping on its impossible. Tubes are below decks in the bilge and off to the side and hatch is bolted down in this area. Tubes are kind of cheezy too. They sound like they are about 1/16" thick. Where can I get the fire resistant resin?

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Most fiberglass suppliers carry it. It is a requirement on passenger boat enginerooms. Are you sure they were not cracked before?

11. cme4pain

cme4pain Junior Member

Couldnt Say. They were painted when purchased new. But if you run you hand over them you can feel a slight depression at every crack. No way they came from the manufacturer like that.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They could've been cracked a long time ago

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You could rotate the one to where it's supposed to be (This side up) (they have baffles) take some pictures and send them to the factory along with a note saying you're posting this all over the internet asking if this is normal for this brand of muffler. Maybe they'll send you some brand new crappy mufflers.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

SamSam: those are not mufflers. Check the facts before calling anything crappy.

15. cme4pain

cme4pain Junior Member

yes they are mufflers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.