Is this laminate thickness suffecient ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Skua, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Skua

Skua Senior Member

Boat is a 28 x10 ft cabin cruiser. Original stringers were goofy and stepped down from 2x8 to 2x4 in the last 4 ft to the transom. Original laminate appears to be 1/8 to 3/16ish single layer of roven woven and poly. I removed old partialy rotten stringers by cutting off top of channel and chopping out wood leaving about three inches of channel. Wood was cut back to good clean material and new D Fir 2x8 was lap jointed to the old, with bolts and epoxy/ milled fiber mix. New stringer was layed into epoxy mix in channel, and keyed into new transom core. I then applied 2 layers of 3620 Biax +_45 and epoxy, on each side of the new stringer butting to old glass and poly channel, over the lap joint by 1 ft, Another layer went over the first 2 and overlapped the orignal channel and fillet by 2 inches. I then layed another 8 in wide 3620 and epoxy, with a 4 inch overlap on the original hull and the new stringer. I then capped the stringer with another 8 in wide, 3620 and epoxy, that butted to the layer over the hull and stringer. Does this sound good?

2. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I would think that some uni cloth would be what you would want for stringers.

3. gdavis

gdavis Junior Member

Skua, the laminates you have put on far exceeds what was on there. Well done, no need to worry that will probably be the strongest part of the boat!.................have fun..g