Joined effort for knowledge sharing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Arvy, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi all,

I have been visiting this forum for a long time already, and have found the numerous discussions, tips etc very usefull and sometimes amusing, thanks everyone for that! But I was thinking, perhaps we should take all the knowledge to the next level.

I am not sure if this thread is the right place, but I was thinking, there are a lot of WIKI kind of knowledge bases, and I might be interesting to have a boat design wiki, in which everyone can type down there knowledge. Have a few people to moderate the wiki, and it could become a great knowledge base about designing and building boats. There should of course be some logic in the way the wiki is filled, like chapters in a book etc but it could be something really usefull. It could become a sort of open source boatdesign book :D

topics could be: hull design, rig design, keel and rudder design, interior desing, electrical systems, just like all topics in this forum but then organized.

Anyone any comments on this idea, or wanting to work on it?

Grtz,
    Arvy

2. SmithCraft64

SmithCraft64 Junior Member

What is a WIKI? Maybe a definition is in order? In other words, Huh? SmithCraft64

3. hansp77

hansp77

Hello Arvy,
    this idea has been thrown around for a while.
    Seaspark, who I have not seen for a long time (anyone know what happened??), was pretty keen on the idea, and may have been the first to bring it up.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12581

Anyway, Jeff seems to have responded, and the wiki has begun.
    here is a thread about the start of it
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16044&highlight=wiki
    and here is the link to the wiki
    http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/Main_Page

SmithCraft64,
    check out the last link and at the start there is a description of what a Wiki is- Not that I am too sure myself. (I guess it is finally time for me to check it out).

Hans.

4. SmithCraft64

SmithCraft64 Junior Member

5. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

WhatZaWiki??

Hmm.. opening up WikiPedia, typing in WIKI:

A wiki (IPA: [ˈwɪ.kiː] or [ˈwiː.kiː][1]) is a website that allows visitors to add, remove, edit and change content, typically without the need for registration. It also allows for linking among any number of pages. This ease of interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for mass collaborative authoring.

I'm all for this. There is a great amount of excellent information on this site. After about 30 or 40 hours of digging, motivated because I'm about to build my 3rd Inboard boat (or rebuild one), I've found part of what I was looking for, but I keep discovering new/old Gems...

Mass Collaborative Authoring: A Wiki is a way to start small and keep improving the general information on the many subjects that matter to boat designers/builders/operators. Look at it as a way and a place to grab the best things out of past discussions and put them in some organized place so we and new users can find them. It is NOT a replacement for the discussions we have!

I've used Wikis for a couple of things, and though they are not related to this, they are examples:
    http://living-in-tunisia.wikispaces.com/ is for newbies to North Africa
    http://acst-weather.wikispaces.com/ is a weather-station design project

Notice the 'Navigation' (How Nautical!) section on the left. It's easy to set this stuff up.

In the case of the boatdesign.net Wiki, I think you HAVE to be registered and not a first-time poster to add to the Wiki.

Anyway, worked out well for me for some stuff; could work here.

6. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi Hans,

I think I should have used the search function before asking the question :D but I am glad someone already started the wiki a while ago, I will start adding some articles to the wiki.

And perhaps, because now it is under the attention again off the masses more people will start to contribute to it!

Grtz,
    Arvy

7. hansp77

hansp77

No probs Arvy,
    if anyone has been a lazy searcher in the past, it has been me.

I do hope the masses contribute to it, as I think it could be really good. I am more of a learner here than a teacher, so I have little I feel I could offer.
    I have thought of a few pages I could start, such as:

One step forward, three steps back: How to tripple your work in one easy step.
    or

How to epoxy with your fingers,
    or,

Toxic? What toxic? Things you can do without a dust mask.
    or,

Welding, grinding and drilling in thongs 101.
    and finally,

Now your bleeding? DIY first aid, with no first aid kit.:D

You get the picture,
    I think I will leave the Wiki for the real pro's.;)

Hans.

8. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

hahahahahaha

well those topics you just mentioned could be interesting tho... to prevent people from doing stupid things hahahaha

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.