is this a hydroplane worth restoring

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by racing fan, Dec 3, 2010.

1. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

i got a 70's ebko sprint hydroplane 14-15 ft that's a regular hydroplane just made for passengers not so much for racing. it is made of 2 layers of fiber glass and balsa wood sandwiched in between and water got between the fiberglass and rotted out the balsa it need to be completely restored is it worth paying 1500 to re-core it myself or 2000 for a pro because it's a ton of down and dirty hard work and if i restore it is there any resale value depression or not and if restored would a 75hp be enough because the 2 former owners used a 150hp and a 125 hp or would i half ho use a 125-150hp?

Attached Files:

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Don't you already have a race boat on the re-build?

You tell me, is it worth it?

-Tom

3. Bruce46

Bruce46 Junior Member

It is not a race boat with any history, it is not a race boat, it wasn't a great design in its day so in its condition it might be worth a quart of gas. There are better boats waiting and deserving to be restored.

4. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

uh yea i got a 9.6 ft hydroplane i am fixing up

5. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

but if i fixed it up it would be a cool boat a a really nice boat to run around on and a high performance family boat i ant going for racing here i got one of those already so you think i should junk it?

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

"If fixed up . . ." well, the noble adventure. This is a basket case and has very little value at the moment. So, fixing her up entails an engine, assuming the transom and stringers aren't shot, engine controls, steer gear, full up electrical, plumbing, fuel storage and delivery and most that I've listed have little to do with the condition of the hull shell, which looks like it might need a sole and a paint job at least.

Yep, "if fixed up" means a lot more then what's wrong with this particular boat. In fact this project will have 85% to 90% non-hull shell related things to do or buy. So, consider the project for what it is, a broken down "holder" for what your about to buy and install in it. I know this seems harsh, but this is the reality of a narrow focus powerboat like this. It really only does one thing (go fast) and none of the equipment that makes it do this is aboard, so you have to buy it and install it. You can save yourself a lot of knuckle busting by skipping all the work and just buying the equipment you need in one shot on a different boat, preferably one with this equipment (engine, tanks, steering, controls, electrical, etc.) already installed . . .

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

And at a fraction of the price and labour.

Your call though.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.