is there some crazy law against 'treasure hunting' in Germany?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

So I was looking into this GPR tech, mostly for building construction to look into walls without making a big mess, but I guess it could be used for certain old boats, RVs, etc., and I run across this "stealth" setup. DRS ELECTRONICS » Stealth Scanner http://www.drselectronics.eu/stealth-radar/

WTF needs to go 'stealth' scanning for stuff underground?

Is this for spies to scan for other spy's secret tunnels without tipping off the other spy you are on to his game? http://www.madmagazine.com/sites/de...py-Sunday-Comic-1_5331f045c3e7d6.71575282.jpg

I've met people using metal detectors on public lawns or beaches after big concerts looking for random stuff, but seems just an excuse to play with the equipment.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Probably too many people detecting buried "treasure", and the pick hits unexploded munitions. :eek: In other words, I have no idea ! :(

3. Olav

Olav naval architect

There is no German law against treasure hunting per se, but you have to be careful with the monument protection act. Especially if you want to search an area declared as a preserved site of historical interest you will need a special permit.

In case you've discovered anything you are obliged to report that find as, by law, this find would then be the property of the Federal State and you could be sentenced for embezzlement if you kept it for your own. So if you plan to keep anything it might be wise to be as inconspicuous as possible... ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.