Feather Transverse Flex w/ Maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yacht Skipper, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Yacht Skipper

Yacht Skipper Junior Member

Is it possible to feather the transverse Flex with maxsurf in order to start with round bilge at the bow and end up with hard chines toward the stern.
    How is there any other ways to do this ?

Thanks

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

YS you can get a chine at the stern by compacting a number of points into one and adjusting the weighting and stiffness.

3. Yacht Skipper

Thanks

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    I'm new to CAD and it seems that I will never finish to learn...

4. Yacht Skipper

Hey Nautika, I really tried several times, but end up with something impossible to fair and the chines were not sharp at all.
    Any tutorials on how to do it ?
    Or is there a software outthere where I could set a different transverse flex for each sections ?

Thanks

5. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

YS is this the sort of thing your after?

Attached Files:

6. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

YS Just another thought, you could also bond two or more surfaces with the same longitudinal stiffness but different transverse. Then do a mix of different methods

Attached Files:

7. Yacht Skipper

Thanks for your help Nautika, I really appreciate.
    What I'm trying to accomplish is something like the attachment.
    How would you do it ?

Attached Files:

8. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

The key to compacting points to form chines or knuckles is to use the right number - the higher the order of the surface (i.e. the stiffer) in the transverse direction, the more points you need.

The rule is that the number of control points you need to compact is one less than the order. So an order 4 surface needs 3 control points compacted together, an order 6 surface needs 5 control points compacted together.

As you need to spread the control points out in a fair manner to fade out the chine, the less points you have the better, so order 3 or order 4 is recommended for this sort of hull shape. Note that this does not stop you using high order splines longitudinally to get the best longitudinal fairness, I would still recommend order 6 or above in that direction.

9. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

YS As Andrew pointed out the number of points to stiffness helps to smooth out the lines. I might suggest that a few extra points and stiffness may help the process, on smoothing the transition from flat panel chines at the stern to round bilge at the bow. The extra points help the transverse curvature lead into and out of the chine. I did a quick example of what I mean to roughly your idea.

Attached Files:

10. Yacht Skipper

Thanks gents,

I got the idea, now I just have to practice a bit as my first attempt wasn't very succesful:)

11. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Maxsurf has a limit of 25 rows and 135 columns. I think that it is possible to "trick" Maxsurf to accept more than 25 rows by transpose columns and rows. Should be enough for almost anything.
    Mikey

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.