Is there an existing hull shape that fits this bill?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CatBuilder, Mar 21, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Exactly what I was thinking. I assume this doesn't exist already though. Maybe I need to be looking at pacific islander traditional craft because the "white man" doesn't seem to have ever wanted a fast, efficient boat that can double duty as a high displacement craft sometimes. :D

DCockey: I will categorize them in that order under those headings...

2. garydierking

garydierking Senior Member

3. CatBuilder

That's the boat!!

Thanks for that link. I will take a look at Russ Brown's site online and try to find links to this boat.

That's basically what I was picturing. THANKS!!

PS: Nasty day out there in that video. Wow.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Attached Files:

• proa.jpg
      proa.jpg
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
  5. CatBuilder

They say the guy uses it as a pickup truck to haul heavy loads. That he put 2700 miles on it already and loves it.

It's a good base. I'll take it and further the design to meet some of the other requirements I have.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Intriguing idea. I couldn't resist doing a rough sketch. Didn't do any calculations but I'm positive it would work as you suggested. Similar to the main hull of a tri you posted earlier except that wasn't designed for this purpose. I think it is a great idea with potential as a way to have a "double duty" hull: very efficient when light and able to do heavy lifting when required.

click on image:

Attached Files:

7. CatBuilder

Thanks, Doug. I did do the volume calculations and found I can run the displacements I'm looking to run. The wife has said she would rather have a cool tender than a rib, so it's on. This type of craft will be our tender.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==========
    It is a great idea-looking forward to seeing the result.....

9. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

How would it fit at a crowded dinghy dock?

10. CatBuilder

I'm actually going to bow out of the thread right now and updated it when I am done building.

I am spending the time designing it right now (while I'm on break from regular boat building) and want to put all my time in there.

It will fit. I have a perfected basic napkin design done for all my uses of the boat and am working hard on weight/rocker distribution, fine entry, construction methods, ama placement, etc...

Rather than debating all the details and taking up all the time required, I'm just going to design it and build it. :D

We can all then critique it when I post the pictures. This may or may not happen in a year's time, depending on how long the rest of the real build takes.

Thank you, everyone, for your contributions to the thread.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.