Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

This makes prefect sense, according to what is taught about zoology and natural selection in High School Biology class.

All of the interconnected species respond to their environment. Each, however, is in its own unique environment because their relationships to each other are part of their environment. Predators live in an environment that includes their prey while prey animals live in an environment that includes their preditors. They are each living and dealing with different factors, even though they are connected.

There is nothing in this process that suggests we should interfere. However, we are also part of the environment. Human activity IS a natural element derived from the natural processes of Nature. We can not help but be homo sapian. Fighting among ourselves about what that means is as natural as breathing.

What we are not is an outside and unnatural force. We can not live in this world as if it was a zoo filled with specimens in controlled enclosures and preserved to our liking. Species survive, species go extinct and some of that is beneficial to us and our survival, some of it is detrimental to us and our survival.

It remains a Human trait to attempt to control our environment, right or wrong, but guilt has no place in how we view our connection to the Universe. Live well and do what you think is right.

-Will (Dragonfly)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is not they but you making the false claim.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

More people die from lack of heating fuel than from winter drowning - unless their cruise ship hits an iceberg, which, if had only melted, they would not have hit it.

4. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

I didn't make any claim at all.

I provided a synopsis of the NY Times article, and they, in turn, provided a summary of the scientific study.

But I'm glad that you read both the article and the study. I encourage everyone to do so for all my similar posts. You never know when I might try to make a false claim. ;)

5. hoytedow

6. ImaginaryNumber

Climate ‘apocalypse’ fears stopping people having children – study
    • Of 600 people surveyed 96% were very or extremely concerned about their future children in a climate-changed world
    • Some parents expressed regret over having their children
    • Of the 400 respondents who gave their vision of the future, 92.3% were negative, 5.6% were mixed or neutral, and just 0.6% were positive
    • There was no statistically significant difference between the views of women and men
    The study was published in the journal Climatic Change

7. hoytedow

So your propaganda is working.
    History belongs to those who show up.

8. Will Gilmore

I admit I'm Cherry picking, a little, but this quote is also from the article,
    The reported sample size is extremely small. The article says the pole is taken from the US census, 600 respondents between 27 and 45 could easily be found on one university campus and would not be a good representative demographic. The age group surveyed is an interesting choice, as well. Many modern adults are having children a lot later in life and this particular range represents adults who are going to be particularly thoughtful about starting a family. Early 30s have likely put off having children to build a career and late 30s and up are considering whether it is too late to have children.

The report would be concerning to those interested in a flourishing future for the human race. It has everything to do with the social climate and little to do with the weather climate. In a world of doomsday predictions, the effects of such clamor are more alarming than the effects of carbon emissions.

Did you know that the suicide rate has skyrocketed in Japan, especially among women, because of the pandemic? Imagine if they became so concerned about Climate Change that people were no longer going to school, they were losing their jobs and generally had no sense of a productive future?

-Will (Dragonfly)

9. ImaginaryNumber

Will, I agree with most of your comments. I think this study is one data point among many suggesting that more and more people are taking AGW seriously, and that some are putting their money where their mouth is.

10. hoytedow

11. ImaginaryNumber

From your linked article:

A 2020 study of the Great Barrier Reef that set alarm bells ringing in the mainstream media is based on faulty evidence, according to Australian scientist and leading coral reef authority, Professor Peter Ridd. The study claims that between 1995 and 2017 the reef lost half its corals, especially small baby colonies, because of global warming – but Ridd says the claims are false.
    Peter Ridd | Wikipedia

Are climate sceptic Peter Ridd's controversial reef views validated by his unfair dismissal win?

Great Barrier Reef expert panel says Peter Ridd misrepresenting science

12. ImaginaryNumber

New Climate Maps Show a Transformed United States

According to new data from the Rhodium Group analyzed by ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine, warming temperatures and changing rainfall will drive agriculture and temperate climates northward, while sea level rise will consume coastlines and dangerous levels of humidity will swamp the Mississippi River valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The article includes other maps for heat and humidity, sea level rise, wildfire risk, crop yields, economic losses.

Taken together, some parts of the U.S. will see a number of issues stack on top of one another —
    heat and humidity may make it harder to work outside, while the ocean continues to claim more coastal land.
    The table below ranks the most at-risk counties in the U.S. if all of the perils were combined.

[​IMG]

13. hoytedow

No sea level rise found in my neighborhood. 20201117_091911_HDR.jpg

14. Will Gilmore

If the Earth warms up by just ten degrees, we could see localized extreme temperatures reach as high as the boiling point of water. While other areas remain relatively unaffected.

This is not a false claim, an average global temperature of +10 degrees could be maintained when some areas go to temperatures in excess of the boiling point of water. Mathematically, it works. It's just an unfounded claim, not a false claim.

BTW, I made the claim here as an illustration. It in no way means I think it is true and neither should you.

These doomsday scenarios are absurd. Even if they prove to be true in the future. Today, they are unfounded, alarmist noise. What do you do with this information?

We could loose coastline if the ocean's keep rising. Very true. We also loose coastline if the land sinks, if it breaks off at a faultline and falls into the ocean. That is not helpful information.

We could have our agriculture migrate North. Only agriculture as we know it today. I'm currently in Puerto Rico, surrounded with more fruit and naturally growing food than I have ever seen, free to pick and cut up into fruit salad, guacamole, fry on the grill or add to meat. If this agriculture moved North, I wouldn't complain.

Temperate Climate is defined by its relative geography. It will remain right where it is. It may get warmer, but the tropics are defined by the tilt of the Earth and the sub topics, Temperate Zone and Arctic Regions are geographically defined from there. Their temperature is consequential.

15. hoytedow

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.