Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

2. A II

A II no senior member → youtu.be/oNjQXmoxiQ8 → I wish

It's because of the wrong use of the technology, they're too lazy to zoom in on the electronic charts, so they only see a wide open ocean in front of them on their electronic maps, it even happened in the Volvo Ocean Race with a full time fully specialized navigator on board, whose only job was to prevent this . . .

- Boat runs aground in Volvo Ocean race

- Why the World's Best Sailors Still Hit Reefs in Open Water Races

- Volvo Ocean Race Crew Rescued After Abandoning Ship

- How Team Vestas Wind went aground during the Volvo Ocean Race

- Etc., etc...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Oil spills are temporary. U-boats spilled a lot of oil along our coast during WW2. No trace remains except the sunken wrecks.

4. A II

On the Boat Jokes thread I've posted in post #6805 some real life info from a glacial lake in Berlin, glacial lakes are in many places in the world, and are all over western Europe, those glaciers are gone because of long by gone global warming, and it has nothing to do with anthropogenic global warming.

There was a time I took regularly a swim in the Uddelermeer (Dutch link), that's an example of a pingo ruin, which is a collapsed pingo because of melting of its ice core, and so it has become a lake, in this case ± at the end of saale glaciation.

[​IMG]
    Dutch Pingo ruin the Uddelermeer in 2016

Below another Dutch pingo ruin, this one is at the Kampsheide (Dutch link)

[​IMG]

Dutch Pingo ruin at the Kampsheide in 2005

Climate change, whatever the cause is, is as old as the world, and whatever lives on the world must adapt, or the species gets extinct (the whole species gets a Darwin award for not adapting then), which is also as old as the world, so nothing new.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Sea Level Rise May Reactivate Growth of Some Reef Islands

New research, published in Geophysical Research Letters, suggests that reef islands form differently in different settings, and some might actually grow as waters rise....

This analysis revealed that islands at both sites [on a single atoll] formed during the postglacial period when sea levels were higher than present levels. Before the islands formed, existing coral reefs grew vertically toward the sea surface. Then, intense wave action associated with the elevated waters deposited pieces of broken-off coral and other materials, which accumulated on the reef platform to initiate island formation.

Despite being in the same atoll, however, the two different settings gave rise to islands on different timescales. Islands on the leeward rim began to form about 4,200 years ago, whereas those on the windward rim initiated formation about 2,800 years ago. Accumulation of wave-deposited material followed different patterns between the two sites, suggesting that reef islands in different settings may respond differently to climate change.

This research suggests that in some settings [possibly over a millennial time scale], future sea level rise and associated wave action could reactivate island-building processes, spurring further growth of reef islands, which could enhance their resilience to climate change.

Still, the authors note that rising temperatures and associated coral bleaching events could stymie coral growth, limiting the supply of coral rubble and sand materials required for island building......

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Damaged ship leaking oil off Mauritius could break up, says PM
    Growing oil spill from MV Wakashio threatens ecological and economic disaster

At first I didn't believe about the oil boom, as there didn't look to be one surrounding the boat and containing the spill...

[​IMG]

But I guess there is a boom somewhere in the area, so everything will be fine pretty soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Damaged ship leaking oil off Mauritius could break up, says PM https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/10/damaged-ship-leaking-oil-off-mauritius-could-break-up-says-pm

7. A II

Last weekend oysters "polluted" the sea milky like at the Dutch island Texel with their sperm and eggs, the linked text is in Dutch, it contains also a 37 seconds video of the oysters producing small pops of white tufts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  8. A II

Severe pollution from nature going on right now, humanity can't match that . . . :eek:

Dutch - NOS Aug. 10, 2020

(near the bottom of the current front page, at the posting time of this message, use the arrow buttons in the photo series there to find this one)

‘‘ Boeren oogsten hun aardappelen terwijl op de achtergrond de vulkaan Sinabung in Indonesië as en rook spuwt. ’’
    =​
    ‘‘ Farmers harvest their potatoes while in the background the Sinabung volcano in Indonesia spews ash and smoke. ’’

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mount Sinabung on Wikipedia —

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  9. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

So oil spills are harmless?

10. hoytedow

Not harmless but temporary.

11. hoytedow

12. hoytedow

Temporary in a geologic sense

13. A II

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

15. A II

Oh, so positive all in an effort to keep the thread open, go get them Sam, it's a damn shame, keelhaul the captain and the company's CEO for this, I'll back you up !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.