Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

I agree. Though the fact that Earth's climate has changed, and is changing, implies that the cause is changing. If there were no change in the cause (what ever that cause might be) there would be no change in the climate.
    As that point has been discussed many times in the past, both in this thread and on other threads, and since the arguments presented are not compelling to you, I don't see any reason to repeat them now. My posts are not meant to address your question. Read them, or not, as you wish.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You have no proof of agw. None.

3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

You can do better Yob. Suggesting that proof that Humans have no effect on the climate because the climate has a history of changing is no proof at all. It works no better than to say the proof that humans are causing climate change because it is changing while we are here.

You don't need to prove humans aren't involved when they have not provided much more than coincidental correlation and theory. The climate is changing. We can, I think, all agree for the sake of argument, that it is changing.

?

-Will

4. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

The fact climate has always been changing is an invitation to look for cycles. It doesnt change in only one direction, it wobbles to and fro. A rather obvious thousand year cycle seems apparent. The Minoan warm period, and a thousand years later the Roman warm period, and a thousand years later the medieval warm period and a thousand years later? Now! The current warming period. Those other warm periods were prosperous times. Don't ruin this one with stupid regulations.

The thousand year warm periods go back many millennia before the Minoan period, but are numbered not labeled. There is more geological evidence for a thousand year cycle than for CO2 causing warming which has no evidence, just a narrative, spinning a tall tale how it might work if you ignore everything else, like water vapor and CO2 is tiny, just parts per million..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  5. hoytedow

That's like asking "When did you stop beating your wife?".

6. ImaginaryNumber

Mercedes-Benz going all-electric by 2025
    • By 2022, the company will have battery electric vehicles "in all segments the company serves,"
    • In 2025, customers "will be able to choose an all-electric alternative for every model the company makes."
    • By the end of the decade, it hopes to "go all electric" in its car sales

7. hoytedow

Electric vehicles run on fossil fuels, both to generate electricity and lubricate the many moving parts, and ruin the environment.
    Even the tires are made from petrochemicals, unless you want to go back to the bad old days of rubber tree plantations.

8. ImaginaryNumber

Arctic Lakes Are Vanishing by the Hundreds
    • Thousands of small lakes and ponds across the Arctic tundra have disappeared in the last few decades
    • In one survey, out of more than 2,000 ponds near the town of Kangerlussuaq, Greenland, more than 400 disappeared since 1969
    • A 2005 paper surveyed 10,000 large lakes in Siberia, all at least 100 acres in size
    • 125 of them disappeared between 1973 and 1998, while more than a thousand shrank below 100 acres
    • As permafrost warms and softens, some small lakes may simply drain right into the groundwater
    • In others, nutrients become available as the soil warms up, increasing the growth of vegetation, which can eventually overtake small ponds

9. hoytedow

You wanted green. Now you're complaining.

10. Will Gilmore

I'm excited about the future of electric powered vehicles. The fact of fiction of the oil-based source for electric power is immaterial when you consider that coal and fossil fuels are not the only way to power an electric station.

More interesting and exciting than that, is the possibility of complete independence from a central power grid. A wind, solar or even radio spectrum induction charging holds the potential powering an individual vehicle without being/ tethered to a larger network.

-Will

11. ImaginaryNumber

I've given serious thought to getting an EV, but since I (and you) live in a climate with cold winters I've been put off by the fact that battery power can be effectively halved in cold weather. I did notice at the ski resort I frequented last winter, that they had a number of charging stations for people with EVs.

(Don't bust my chops for downhill skiing last winter. First time in 45 years. Had a blast! All the local gyms were closed because of COVID, and skiing seemed to be our best option to prevent cabin fever. Lots of "remote" workers and students skiing. Because of our senior status we were able to get a season pass that worked out to $10/day!! Full price single day tickets are well over $100. I almost got use to skiing with a mask on. It kept my face much warmer. It will be interesting to see if people voluntarily keep wearing masks next winter just because of the added warmth. Also new to me (from last skiing a half a century ago) was that almost everyone was wearing a helmet. Not sure I really needed one as I'm not a hot-dog skier, but they do keep your head warm, and I didn't get too banged up when some yahoo on a snowboard bowled me over like I was a ten-pin. <laugh> But that helmet did give me the courage to try the half-pipe after everyone else had left for the day. I only fell twice...)

12. hoytedow

That would be great except for the fact that those opposed to fossil fuel also bash hydroelectric and nuclear sources of electricity. Remember the snail darter and 7 Mile Island? Only China and Germany make wind generators at the scale they want to use to pollute the landscape.

13. Will Gilmore

One of the last times I skied was a couple of decades ago. Even then, the ski shop looked at my skies, 205 Blizzards with Marker bindings and said, as I'm standing there waiting for my brother-in-law to get his rental parabolics sharpened, "We won't touch those." I replied, "... and I wouldn't want you to." The Blizzards were a remnant from my ski team days in high school.

We didn't have helmets but all the snow boarders did (No snow boarders when I was in high school). So we hit the half-pipe. My brother-in-law waited his turn while I took it with my 205s. Got air on every turn and my brother-in-law said all the boarders waiting with him were ooing and awing with every wall turn.

I stopped at the bottom of the pipe and a snow boarder jumped in front of my brother-in-law and didn't make his turn half way down. We all stood waiting so long for him to move that I kicked off my skis and started to run back up. But the kid finally waves his arm. Apparently his buddies were content to wait him out until my brother-in-law said, "Don't you think you ought to check on him?"

They said, "Nah, he does this all the time."

That's when they yelled down to him and he raised his hand.

-Will

14. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

<mod note: A dozen posts that didn't seem to have any new or factual data about oceans removed from the last pages. Let's please try and keep new posts having some interesting or ocean-related informational value so that the thread is enjoyable and not annoying to other members. Thanks very much.>

15. hoytedow