Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

NASA and all the alphabet soup gangs are rapidly losing credibility.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

and soon losing funding when the courts demand the fed government make restitution for damages by illegal immigrants caught and released inside our borders in violation of existing immigration laws. Trillions to payout the gov can't postpone when court orders payment of jury awarded punitive judgements.. Lawsuits already underway in multiple states.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

'Dead Zones' Have Been Haunting The Ocean For Longer Than Anyone Ever Knew
    • 'Dead zones' are areas of hypoxic waters in the ocean where oxygen levels are so low marine animals cannot survive within them
    • In recent decades, dead zones have become larger, and are also being found in lakes
    • Researchers discovered that dead zones have been a recurring feature of the Pacific Ocean for at least 1.2 million years
    • Historically, they happen during the warm interglacial periods when dissolved iron from the flooded continental shelves promote intense phytoplankton growth
    • Today's dead zones are exacerbated by waste products from human activities (especially agricultural fertilizers)
    • Some scientists project that oxygen levels will keep declining in the global ocean for the next thousand years or more
    The study was reported in Science Advances

5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

Climate change: The amount of heat the Earth traps has doubled in just 15 years, study shows - CNN https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/06/17/us/earth-trapped-heat-doubled/index.html

Seriously, where is all that energy? Double?

-Will

6. Yobarnacle

That doubled factor is smoke and mirrors. It's a "WE ARE IN THE KNOW AND YOU CAN'T REFUTE US!" claim. Well I defy them to prove it's doubled. I will not take their word for it because their word has proved unreliable in the past. Often!

7. ImaginaryNumber

Florida manatees are dying at alarming rates: ‘We’ve never seen anything like this before’
    • Starting last winter, Florida manatees have been dying in an emaciated state
    • At least 761 Florida manatees — more than 10 percent of the estimated manatee population — have perished so far this year
    • The current manatee die-off could top 1,000 by year’s end, exceeding the recent high of 824 deaths in 2018
    • Water pollution is choking off the sea grass that makes up the bulk of the manatee diet
    • Runoff from farming, pesticide sprays, sewage treatment, leaky septic systems and other human sources causes an excess of micronutrients such as nitrogen and phosphorus to build up in the water. Massive algae blooms form, which deplete the water of oxygen and block out the sunlight sea grass needs to thrive.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  8. Yobarnacle

Everything you post looks like this. Sensationalism. Yellow journalism. Tabloid headlines. It's the worst, or never seen before at least not in recent few millennia. Do the writers of this crap think their audience is a bunch of impressionable children? That's not saying dead manatees aren't a problem, but the reporting style stinks. No more manatee on the menu for awhile is the upshot. Somebody will start farm raising them I bet.

9. ImaginaryNumber

Three questions come to mind:

1) When was the last time you read the title of this thread?

2) Does your evil mommy make you read this thread?

3) Have you considered starting your own thread rather than complaining about someone else's thread?

10. Yobarnacle

actually this thread was stagnant for years before I revived it

11. Yobarnacle

Look om page two for above post.
    I should expect an apology from you if you were a gentleman.
    You showed up near bottom of page three.
    Why do you always assume these threads are your personal DOOM blogs?
    Maybe you should take your own advice and start your own thread? Again.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  12. ImaginaryNumber

I don't assume this is my personal thread, but my posts do pertain to the topic of the thread.

On the other hand, many of your posts, most recently this one, have nothing to do with the stated topic.

13. Yobarnacle

Freedom of speech, cuz.
    I object to constant gloom and doom but if thats what you want, I provided some for you.

14. ImaginaryNumber

It appears that you are far more interested in your own freedom of speech than anyone else's freedom of speech. Is that attitude what they taught you in either civic class or Sunday School?

15. Yobarnacle

Nowhere did I say you can't post your political propaganda. I just label it correctly as propaganda, not science, and it's extremely negative sensationalized propaganda. This exchange is the nearest to a conversation we two have had in ages.
    Why would you bring up Sunday school?
    My religion has a King, not a constitutional republic.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.