Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

We are over our heads in incompetence and corruption since the days of Woodrow Wilson. The last 4 years have been hell for those standing up against it. Now it is more corrupt than ever before. A curse on the left.

2. hoytedow

No one knows the date.
    Calm yourself.

3. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

No one has known the date for 2,000 years. Believe me, it's very low on my list of worries. <laugh>

4. hoytedow

So it is on your list of worries. That's a start.

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I only sneer at stupid ideas and expectations I swallow them, but never, at people or possibilities.

6. ImaginaryNumber

Nice to know you only sneer at stupid ideas, but that you reserve whipping and boiling in oil for people.
    Looks like we have two XINOs on this thread.

7. ImaginaryNumber

Atlantic Hurricane Season to Start Earlier? NOAA Is Considering It
    • Currently, the Atlantic hurricane season officially runs from June 1 to Nov. 30; the original dates were set in 1935
    • Tropical Storm Arthur formed last year on May 16, marking the sixth consecutive year that a named storm formed before June 1
    • "Many of the May systems are short-lived, hybrid (subtropical) systems that are now being identified because of better monitoring and policy changes that now name subtropical storms."
    • Any change in dates would affect only the Atlantic hurricane season and would put it in line with the Eastern Pacific hurricane season.

8. Yobarnacle

I said, ....".Jail is the minimal a false alarmist should get. I'd opt for public whipping.....
    False alarmists on global scales should be boiled in oil." You changed that to people. Shame on you for editing my words, then ridiculing what YOU tried putting in my mouth..

What is xenophobic about hating panic and panic mongers or false alarmists, same thing? What nationality is panic mongering? Are those disruptive elements all aliens? Have we been invaded? Seems to me, we have plenty of home grown, or home brain washed panic stricken domestics spreading contagion. I thought your vocabulary was better than that. Or are you simply grasping at straws? Panic is always a stupid idea! In every situation.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. hoytedow

What is a xino?

10. Yobarnacle

slang short for xenophobe, someone who hates other cultures and other nationalities.not their own. Trump was falsely accused of being a xino because he wanted secure borders and a thorough vetting of visa recipients.

Possibly i meant, Christian in name only, X being a substitute for a cross.= Christ.
    High steppin i wrongly believes Christians shouldn't stand up for their values, but meekly become door mats to be stepped on. He conveniently ignores that Jesus took a whip to the money changers.defiling the temple.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  11. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I thought he meant Xenocidal. Ha ha ha ha! I'm such a dunce.

Oh wait, since they are discontinuing the printing of something like five Dr. Seuss books for the inappropriate portrayal of some groups, can I even use the term 'dunce'? I don't think we dunces are a protected class, so it's probably OK.

-Will (Dragonfly)

12. Yobarnacle

In response to a post by i that we have a democratic republic as opposed to a republic?

Nowhere is the word "democracy" mentioned in the Declaration of Independence or the U.S. Constitution. How could that be? Our government is a democracy! (Is it intended to be?)

Well, for one, as we'll discuss later, the Founders actually feared democratic rule. James Madison expressed this attitude in Federalist #10: "...instability, injustice, and confusion ...have in truth been the mortal disease under which popular governments everywhere perished..."

i tends to fantasize reality.
    What Is a Democracy? [ushistory.org] https://www.ushistory.org/gov/1c.asp

13. Will Gilmore

Yob, specifically, we have a representative democracy. We, the people, elect representatives who then vote on issues in our stead. That also makes it a republic. Where the government is meant to represent the will of the people.

It wasn't just our founding fathers that had reservations about a direct democracy. That goes way back to almost 600 BCE. Plato wrote that the problem with democracy was that as soon as "the people" realized they could vote the wealth of their country into their own pockets, they would do that. Or something to that effect. Before that, Pythagoras expressed his own concerns about the failings of direct democracy. This is likely where Plato got his opinion and our highly educated founding fathers were greatly influenced by these two minds from the past. Thomas Jefferson was a known fan of both, as well as of Darius the Great, who wrote the very first bill of rights. Look it up. You will read some very familiar words in it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

14. Yobarnacle

Only land owners, men, were allowed to vote or hold office in the early days of our "democracy". Universal suffrage crept in slowly by degrees and look where we are? Unstable, trillions in debt, confusion, corruption, on the verge of collapse, just as Madison warned.

As for our bill of rights, it's a misnomer. It provides us with no rights via government, it strictly prohibits government from messing with our God given rights. And includes rights not mentioned at all, according to the 9th amendment. Most of the bill of rights begin with Congress shall pass no law, ...messing with our rights

15. Will Gilmore

You really think so?

It's the oceans, right? Because the oceans are in such trouble, our government is suffering. This is a thread about the ocean being broken, so is that why you think our government is in trouble?

The Gulf Steam is apparently slowing down, our government is slowing down with occasional closure over the last decade. There is a definite correlation.

-Will (Dragonfly)