aluminium 4.6M boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rastus, Aug 23, 2010.

1. rastus

rastus Junior Member

Well hi all 1st post.
    i have been thinking of upgrading my small fishing boat to something a bit bigger and this is what i started working on this afternoon.

[​IMG]

just a rough layout thought i would put it up as it is my first design i might be heading down the wrong track.

I'm not sure if i want to go with this style of boat or a bay boat but i think this will be the easier of the two to start with.

i'm working in autodesk inventor, took a little bit of thinking to work out how to get the flat pattern to unfold correctly bit seems to be working for me as the loft tool and sheet metal don't work that nicely

2. rastus

rastus Junior Member

i have a couple questions,

first is the boat to wide for the rise of the hull?
    should the chine(i think thats what it is called) be wider than 150mm?

i was planing on using 5mm plate for the sides and bottoms and ribs(as it is the most common plat at work and i could get it cheap from the offcuts) and using 3mm where i can but the weight is getting close to 450kg is that to heavy?

edit: added some images of the ribs and stuff

Attached Files:

3. rastus

rastus Junior Member

Attached Files:

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Just a short observation about geometrical proportions of your hull. If I were you, I would check the L/B ratio because you might have longitudinal stability problems (porpoising) with this one at higher speeds. I wouldn't go below L/B = 2.2 - 2.3.
    Cheers!

5. rastus

rastus Junior Member

thanks for the reply, i will alter the drawings to drawings reflect a 2.3 ratio, will post updates later tonight, am i heading down the right track with the chines or should i look into it more.

I have found a couple links to hull design but any more would be appreciated.

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Chines look ok to me.

7. rastus

rastus Junior Member

i have got a bit side tracked after i imported the hull into inventor, will hopeful post updates layer in the week

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.