Is rolling and tipping this easy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mongo75, Mar 5, 2008.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Interestingly enough, I've found that disposable foam brushes (which can be attacked by some paints and swell) lay down the least number of stroke marks then all but the very best brushes. I use to use nothing but the best brushes, but now have switched to good (solvent resistant) foam. The simple reason is I can toss the foam brush without care, whereas with the good brush, a fair amount of upkeep and storage is required to clean it, keep it in good order and store it.

Foam brushes don't load up as nicely as a good brush, but this also prevents you from overloading. They also can be prone to dripping, but watchful use is the key to a good brush job and you can always apply another coat if necessary.

I buy them by the case, which saves a little money. I also use the good ones, which are typically twice the cost of a hardware store foam brush, but don't fall apart (literally) in the middle of a paint job. The other neat thing is you can cut and shape them to fit contours and recesses or difficult areas, which you'd never dream of with your fancy hair brush.

I came to these conclusions after performing a simple test several years ago. I had a section of varnished plywood, that had been removed from a project, as part of a remodel. I applied more varnish with different brushes and found the foam (a surprise to me) was less "strokey" then all but my $50 brush, which I prized and took care of. The foam and good brush preformed equally, with the limitations listed above, so that was the call after several test coats. I still have the good brushes, but they see a lot less use now, preferring to whip out a cheap foam puppy, then toss it in the can.

1 person likes this.
  2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Par,,,how does the foam brush's do on making air bubbles?,,,ive used them before on like polyurethane on an end table, and seemed to make more "air" then when i used a brush.,,,,of course i was probably trying in the middle of "meds" time hehe ;)

3. GWB

GWB Junior Member

Westsail 42 - I was the guy asking all the questions about painting the other day on your blog. Good to see you here!

4. GWB

GWB Junior Member

PAR - could you tell us the foam brush model and make that you use please?

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hay Paul,
    Yes I would like to know the foam brush secret too. I have paid close to $30.00 for my brushes and spend more time cleaning them then using them. The foam brushes I have tryed "blow up" or fall apart.

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

its your "grip",,,opps sorry

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I'll say it again Much.. these guys are going to wake up one day and realize that they have been taking marine advise from a guy that lives in the desert.:p

8. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

I tried the dark gray foam "Poly Brush" disposable brush (sorry that is all I have on them, sold by Fisheries Supply). DO NOT use them with LPU paint. The solvents will disintegrate the foam within minutes and you will have tiny bits of foam to pick out (don't ask how I know).

I did try one of the disposable "synthetic bristle brush" from Ace Hardware that worked really well. It is thin, with a fine edge. Got the bubbles, paint flowed out well. Best of all, its cheap.

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

thats "the land of non-skid",,,not a desert :p ;)

10. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

We have been talking mostly about Awl Grip and I know that you can't use that foam for tipping. Even the "good" rollers will only last about 20 min. Unless Par can give me the name of a foam brush that can hold up to Awl Grip I'll keep cleaning my expensive brushes. They have been good to me so far.

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

If that makes you feel better then that's what we will call that place from which you hail......The 1much from the land of non-skid.... now take your meds and go to sleep.......

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm getting my brushes through a mercantile exchange. They're repackaged so I don't know who the manufacture is. I do know they are polyurethane and they have plastic handles. Most bubbles are caused by too much pressure or moving way too fast with the brush. Tipping off is a very light touch and should be done relatively slowly. I've never used they with a two part polyurethane, only singles, oils and acrylics.

Of course being a butthead, I post this reply in the wrong thread and Charlie had to bail me out. No wonder his rep is so high . . .

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Thanks Par, I thought you gave up on us. I'll keep my eye out for that type of foam brush. I would like to try it with varnish.

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hahahaha,,,,,sounds like Par has been in my "meds" hehehe ;)
    and i think he's saying its my "grip" again kapt. hehe ;)

15. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

If you ever need to know anything about boats Par is THE MAN. You lost your grip a long time ago.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.