Is rolling and tipping this easy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mongo75, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Jim, even before I finished reading your post I was actually thinking of just slapping him with the brush, but yeah, throwing it works too LOL.

As much as I like spraying, I may need to roll and tip the current boat I'm working on, as it's just getting damn near impossible for the average Joe Blow to find a space big enough to do a nice CLEAN (no wind / dust blowing) spray job.

Seeing as how I'm an aircraft mech in the Marines, maybe I can ask my CO to let me use an empty hangar to spray the boat hehe

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ive painted a handful of boats in airplane hangers ;)
    and i would LOVE to know how to roll and tip,,,i think EVERY sprayer should,,or he shouldnt be called a painter,,,should be called a "sprayer" ;)
    well not KNOW how,,,,i think kapt. got me talked through it,,,,i just need the energy,,,and someone that'll pay me enough to hehe ;)

3. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

UH-OH, is Jim coming to the DARK SIDE??? LOL I think ya got him broken Kapt Jer

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i'd only do it once,,,just to say i can,, and did,,heh ;)

5. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

hehe ok!

6. GWB

GWB Junior Member

Hmmmm......I have the perfect opportunity for you! Come visit us in beautiful Brookings Oregon! Tented workspace, sanding taken care of :)

7. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

GWB- thanks for the offer, but I won't pay folks to do anything, so if you guys are offering a free paint job, I'll see ya in about a year!

8. GWB

GWB Junior Member

Danny - I need the painting done on my boat....Jim was wanting an opportunity to learn how to roll and tip. :)

9. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

OH, Ok, gotcha- sounds like a plan! hehe

10. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Sorry Much, GWB,
    I didn't mean to scare you, but there is a little more to rolling and tipping then was shown in that clip. Par was correct The brush needs to be kept clean. I work with (2) 2" camels. One is always in the acetone. The roller will blow up (literally) after about 20 min. You need to be able to change on the fly. You will need to adjust the reducer depending on the temperature, humidity, color of the coating and the fickleness of the paint gods. Don't roll any more than 8" on a hull. Always tip (very lightly top to bottom in the same direction all the time) this is not what awl grip says, but it works better. Never go back even if you see a run just keep going don't stop. Sand between each coat w/ 325. If you are lucky, and you are painting White you should be done in 3 coats. If you missed the reducer % and you are painting a dark color expect up to 5 coats. I don't usually disagree with Par, he has gotten me through 2 rebuilds, but if you are using Awl grip you should not buff. I know that in actuality the coating hasn't cured and you can buff, but if your reducer is good, and you get the flow, you will have no need to buff and this saves the hard shell coating that we pay so much money for.
    The attached picture is my recently painted boat. Flag Blue, I'll never do it again. It was a very difficult color. Jim posted some other pictures of my boat ..He said he is going to put them in a brochure to advertise his own (spray) work.. But if you guys need any advise I am here. Email me if you would like.

Attached Files:

11. GWB

GWB Junior Member

Jer -

Can you change the reducer on the fly? How do you know how much reducer to add? If the reducer percentage is changed from coat to coat, does it change the color?
    When you take the other brush out of the acetone do you just dry it with a rag? Do you switch out when the brush you are using starts to load up?

Thanks for the help

12. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

13. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

What these guys said!

Have a spare badger brush for tipping handy.

The vid is pretty much how we did it, except I would not recommend "pouring" the paint on the surface. Load up the roller in a proper paint tray.

14. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

Also, not sure what the other guys on this thread think, but...

The fellow who sprayed our 28 footer a couple months ago, said that a good roll/tip job can "last longer" than a typical spray job. That is, go longer before you need to consider waxing and buffing. He commented the gloss on our ten year old roll/tip paint looked really good for ten years (ignoring the dings and scratches).

He indicated a LPU spray job will last about 6 years before the gloss starts going.

YMMV

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

thats cause i didnt spray it,,hehe ;)
    but,,for MOST spray jobs he's right,,,for my "well-to-do) customers,,,6 years is minimum ,,8 usual,,,for my (poor skid rows like me) everyday dudes,,,i get them bout 12 years with the same looks as the previous,,heh,,,but,,you do get a longer, thicker,paint job snailing it,,,,but shhhhh,,,,dont tell martha ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.