Is my old boat may become a boat mould ?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mksmarine, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mksmarine

mksmarine Junior Member

I have 24 ft 1989 model boat.After couple cutting deck process can I use it as a mould for boat manufacture?Sorry for my inexperienced question but I would like to know is it possible ?If you can help ,I ll' appriciate.Many Thanks..

Here this is my mail adress below;

bassplayermks@hotmail.com

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

No, you can not use another manufacture's product as the mold for your boat. This said, many do, but it's not legal. This is called "splashing". The original design is usually copyright protected and you could be sued for stealing another's design without permission. Some companies aggressively defend their products and others less so.

Considering the materials, labor and general costs for a mold and tooling up for a small boat manufacturing process can entail, you'd be wise to invest in a proper design, a well built mold and set up your production facility correctly. There's too much money, equipment and labor at stake to risk, it all on a splashed hull.

If I wanted to build a new XKE, using the old as a mold or model, how long do you think Jaguar would take, before a bunch of lawyers would show up on your door step? Same thing and same copyright protection laws.

3. mksmarine

mksmarine Junior Member

Moulding

Thanks for reply.I just wanted to know is it possible physically and I got it.Otherwise I knew that splashing from a model is not legal...

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, it's physically possible.

5. carboncopy001

carboncopy001 Junior Member

yes it is possible and it has been done for yrs, but as the one gentleman has said there maybe copyrights or patients on it so you need to do your home work first. If there is a copy right dont bother copy rights from my knowledge you have to prove you started it from scratch(they also may have a fairly large varrience in size so no one can copy it) a patient is much different from my understanding. There if I am correct u have to change it a min of 7 to 10% to make it yours but u also have to check and make sure someone else has not already beat you to the punch cause for sure do not want someone suing your hiney off. Remember research is what is to be done first before making the nessary changes to make something yours if that is possible.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.