First design, need feedback

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by HomeyD5, Jun 3, 2007.

1. HomeyD5

HomeyD5 New Member

I'm trying to come up with a plan for a 10-meter aluminum bluewater sloop. Design touchstones are the Contessa 32 and Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, with a pinch of Tahitiana thrown in. Here are the specs:

LOA: 33' . . . . . . Displ: 14,200 lbs
    LWL: 27.6' . . . . Ballast: 6,250 lbs
    Beam: 9.5' . . . . . Sail Area: 605 sq. ft.
    BWL: 7.8'
    Draft: 5.3'

Safety and a seakindly motion are prioritized above speed and interior volume. Here are some of my performance targets:

Capsize Ratio: 1.60 or less
    STIX: 35 or better
    Comfort factor: 37 or better

See the attached images for a rough concept I cranked out of Gregg Carlson's Hull Design program. Thoughs, critiques, and suggestions welcome.

Attached Files:

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I would move bouyancy forward, increase rudder area, and straighten keel (a cutaway forward of the rudder would allow reduction of wetted area and make rudder more effective).
    All this would make the boat more controllable when off the wind, and reduce weather helm when heeled.

Alan

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i,m sorry I can see nothing good in this boat, losing loats of space aft too,
    may I respectively suggest you down load freeship and have a go there, you did ask:))

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Just as an excercise take an existing yacht and try to replicate the shape in CAD. then play with it, making small adjustments.

You need to get used to playing with hull-shapes. Looking around hard-standing marinas is good fun and gives a better idea of the under-water sections.

Tim B.

5. HomeyD5

HomeyD5 New Member

Thanks for the feedback! Alan, I may need some clarification regarding your
    suggestions; will get back to you once I've got FreeShip installed and am
    up to speed on it. LazyJack, thanks for the good software tip and the
    brutally honest opinion! BTW, FreeShip is now called DelftShip. Still
    freeware, now up to version 3.1, can be downloaded here:

http://www.delftship.net

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

mate you had so many views but no comments!, freeship is different in that you can print things like the plate developements, which delft does not allow
    Good luck, I want to see what you create, please, there will be heaps of people will help you in Free or delft

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.