Noob - DT15 Issues - Photo's

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by lsj80r, Dec 14, 2010.

1. lsj80r

lsj80r New Member

Hi there,

I've had this old Suzuki for years. It was used on the back of a Zodiac 15 years ago and recently it has been put to use on a 3.7m 'tinny'.

Before i get into the story i must say that i have never worked on an outboard nor seen one in pieces so have no idea how to trouble shoot on one ...

We took the boat out for a shake down run today and the events happened in order as follows:

-> Started 2 pull
    -> idled out fine - water coming out of (I don't know the name for it, sorry) pisser hole was a dribble.
    -> Got into deeper water and opened her up, felt like a clutch was slipping?? or maybe coming out of gear? high revs and no acceleration.
    -> Slowed down and removed top. Jiggled forward/reverse switch and tried accelerating several times. Seemed to come good.
    -> Water coming out pisser hole still a dribble.
    -> Blasted around for a bit and was pretty happy with how it was running.
    -> Turned for home and then ... there was smoke.
    -> Shut engine down and found the following.
    -> Discolored head.
    -> Melted coil pack.
    -> No water coming out pisser hole.
    -> Paddled back to shore to prevent further damage.

Since then i have started the engine and it runs fine. There is no water coming out the pisser hole though.

Any ideas? from what i have read it could be gasket blocking the passage or maybe water pump?

Cheers, D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

The lack of water out of the pisser and the fact that it overheated indicates that something is wrong with the cooling system. It could be internal blockage from built up salt, blockage of the intake or a bad impeller. If the impeller hasn't been changed in 15+ years that would be my guess. Not too hard a DIY job, make sure you get all the bits and pieces of broken impeller out before putting it back together, check the output side of the pump/tubing well. Check your library or look on line for a maintenance guide. Sometimes parts houses will print an exploded parts diagram so you have an idea whats involved. I've never had a Suzuki apart, so can't help further.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.