IS it really possible for inexperienced Joe Shmoes to build a yacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by IanMcEwan, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Boat building

Hi Don,
    I am at present building a modified "Simpson Ground Effect" and have no experience at all though I do annoy different boat builders I know to learn as much as I can. I still have a long way to go as I am only fitting out the hulls . Some old pictures can be seen on www.homepage.powerup.com.au/~yacht

Regards,

Ross.

2. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

Hmmm, that link doen't work.

After a little checking, this one does :) homepage.powerup.com.au/~yacht

3. regal

regal Junior Member

What about aluminum boats, say you can weld aluminum. How hard is the setup, cutting, moving the pieces around, etc?

4. don james

don james Guest

So it can be done?

Ive checked out your photos and its encourageing to see your progress
    I have long sense changed my mind (again), And I'm stuck for good on a power catamaran design. Iv come to grips with what to use as materials
    and I believe Im going to settle an a Balsa core /fiberglass/ gel-coat
    format simply because of my many years as a carpenter I would feel much
    more confident as to my abilities and level of skill. As for fiberglass, Ive done
    enough as I say again, confident in that application .So Im going to stick with my strengths first time around and get more educated as I progress.

Looking good! keep it up and keep in touch.
    Donjames

5. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

Hi there,
    Also interested in building a boat, I didn't want to get plans of someone else, so I started looking at sketches and found one that I like. 8m50 x 3.1m rescaled to 7m42 for legal reasons in Belgium (more than 7m50 pay 2.500EUR taxes, smaller pay 0.0 taxes)
    So took top and side of the design view and started sketching the hull according the existing sketch. The top part is all up to my imagination.
    designing will be finished within a few weeks next the building will begin after I analysed the most of the costs foor needed components. I try to reduce the costs to the max using a BMW525TDS car engine(I know the most off the contra's on that topic but I am convinced it will do a good job) maybe some other car parts, classic thru hull drive, classic rudder as a base to develop or to modifie if the boat suites my expectations.

I'm sure it can be done, I hope to spend less than an in bad schape 2nd hand boat.

Wish all the amateur builders goodluck!!!

Daniel Peeters

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.