A Sample Damage Stability Booklet For A Passenger Ship

Discussion in 'Stability' started by naserrishehri, Apr 12, 2012.

1. naserrishehri

naserrishehri Senior Member

Dear Friends
    I Need A Sample Damage Stability Booklet For A Passenger Ship.
    Can Any Body Help Me?

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You need to establish which regulations the vessel must comply with too. This has an influence of how the stability book shall be presented. The example given by MikeJohns shall be a good guide for you.

4. klaas

klaas Junior Member

Furthermore all requirements for the stability booklet are stated in the regulations of the class society.

May you need further information on the amount of detail, you could always drop a more detailled question here.

5. naserrishehri

thank

dear mike
    i read your st. booklet but i found only a procedure for calculating damage st. booklet not sample calculation.
    i need exactly a sample.

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I thought that would be a good example for you since it gives a detailed walk through of the procedure and the results. What perhaps you don't comprehend is that the curves of stability are all derived from 3D computer models such as Hydromax ?

It might help if you said exactly what you were trying to achieve. Is this a student project or are you a fresh graduate who is just lost in their first job with no help?

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

He's trying to get his lessons done for him Mike . . .

8. naserrishehri

dear mark
    i m going to calculate and send a damage stability booklet to class for approval.
    i need a sample to use it's format.
    best regards

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

The link above by MIKE is a sample booklet. It has all the basics you should be doing.

Which Class, what type of vessel, what criteria must the vessel meet, perhaps it is subtly different?

10. naserrishehri

dear friend
    can you tell me if i send general arrangement and maxsurf files?
    criteria: solas

11. klaas

klaas Junior Member

Well, the given example is actually an intact stability booklet, not a damage stability booklet.

You only have to send the stability booklet and if requested a 3d model of the hull shape. The class society will build it's own stability model to check your calculations.

Anyhow, the easiest way is to just call you contact person at class and ask what the need and in which format. The contents for the stability booklet are described in the class rules.

As said before, we could give you more information on specific questions, but we can not spell out a stability booklet here fore you.

12. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I think Klass has answered your question very well.

The stability booklet needs to show hydrostatics and GZ curves etc. But how does the Flag authority know if your results are correct? The flag authority usually ask for the Lines Plan of the boat. From that, they will make their own stability file model and compare their results with yours. They will do a few spots checks and if the results are very similar or the same, then they shall consider your results to be acceptable and just see results you get for all conditions, rather then calculate all of them themselves.

If the flag authority does not request you send the lines plan, then don't offer it.

Just syaing SOLAS, is not a sufficient criteria. Is it a Supertanker, is it Cargo vessel is it a Passenger vessel etc etc..all these must comply with SOLAS, but they each have different criteria to satisfy!

13. naserrishehri

I Called The Class And They Asked 3d Model And My Calculation Results For
    Some Damage Conditions .i Got Results From The Maxsurf But In Some Cases
    Solas Rule (margine Line) Not Passed .so I M Afraid Class Reject The Vessel.

14. klaas

klaas Junior Member

You still haven't mentioned which criteria you are using, but assuming your using the 2009 probabilistic critera the total attained index (A) should be equal or larger than the required index (R) and A>=0.9R for each draft.

So as you are calculating many separate cases, it doesn't matter if a single case fails as long as the sum of all cases fulfills the above stated criteria.

1 person likes this.

15. Poi

Poi New Member

If it's not passing the probabilistic, I guess you might have to add more subdivisions.
    We use ghs so not really quite familiar with maxsurf. However the extent of tank definition is very vital.
    Furthermore, a simple run at the initialn design stage should be run before commencing the detailed design.

Just an off topic discussion on probabilistic damage: has anyone tried to see the effect and contribution an addition of a longitudinal bulkhead in comparison to a transverse bulkhead?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.