Is epoxy epoxy? Well known vs cheap brand epoxy.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by xellz, Dec 2, 2017.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Agreed, but you and I have a better perspective on the subject. The usual home builder doesn't (generally) have condisions, where they can ignore cleaning the surface, blush free formulation or not. They'll learn, but typically not until they find they're peeling huge sheets of paint, off a non-cleaned, recently epoxied surface and contemplating the repaint job that's to come or worse, ripping the sheathing off and doing this again.

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I have NEVER had blush; ever. All my work has always been indoors. I expect someday it’ll bite me, but I ALWAYS sand. Does blush sand off?

But if the poster is keen on saving money, or if his environment is such; blush is a reality more and less.

As far as silvertip or otherwise; if you can get epoxy for 30 bucks a gallon; let me know where please.

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Don't know his price, but you could ask Paul for a quote.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I just ordered 30 gallons of silvertip for $2450 or so from bbc at 3:30pm today. Shipping was $260. They gave me a good rate for buying over 100 gallons.

5. Angélique

I'll guess that's the best price, or at least it should be, since BBC says . . . (at the bottom of the linked page)

‘‘ Best price guarantee: We guarantee the best price shipping included (48 states). If you received a competitive quote, please email and we will beat that price. ’’

But maybe this guarantee only goes for the brands they sell, don't know if this include the links in my previous post.

Boat Builder Central featured brands, as taken from the first above link.
    [​IMG]

Good luck !

P.S. - - - I've just noticed BBC hasn't SilverTip in this picture of their featured brands, as shown on the above linked page.

P.P.S. - Got it, SilverTip isn't in the picture since it's a part of the System Three products, which is shown among the featured brands in the pic.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  6. Angélique

For info, from 2014, a MarinEpoxy thread.

Paul, I'm sorry to read about your wife in post #8, I fully agree with the other Paul in the last line of post #10, though I fear for the worst now, so my sincere sympathies for you and your wife, whatever her status is now. Paul² in post #10: ‘‘ Hang tough my friend ’’, is ditto from me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  7. PAR

Marinepoxy at that site (assuming full retail, without any discounts) would be $1,565 for 30 gallons and I'll guess the shipping would be similar.

8. xellz

xellz Senior Member

I'll try to get definite rules on epoxy importing, seems not everything can be imported freely. West marine epoxy is locally sold in many places, prices although not exactly friendly and with 5:1 ratio more easy to make a mistake in mixing. For silvertip i could find only one local source. And still no japanese marine epoxy, what i mentioned in previous post is made for construction companies to use for various repair works outside on concrete, wood etc. Comment from maker if it can be used for boat building was "at your own risk".

Boatbuilder central also has nice location for me, it's rather close to port where from could ship to nearby port in Japan at relatively low price. I will have to worry more about import taxes, than shipping cost.

9. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Silvertip is good if you are aiming for impact resistance. Look at the datasheet. It says 8% elongation. When used with Eglass which has an elongation of about 4%, it means the E fibers will fail first before epoxy. looking at the modulus of the resin, it seems fairly regular type but plotting the graph of the "neat resin", it seems to stretch and stretch before it fails.

That means when designing composite with a compatible resin, pick a resin with just slightly higher elongation than the fiber so that the straight line graph of the elastic region of the resin will fall in the same slope of the fiber. Choosing a high elongation resin means you will have lower strength in the laminate. A compromise.

Angélique likes this.
  10. useragentseven

useragentseven Junior Member

So what's the best scenario for the home-builder, if one cannot find a clean facility to work out of? Plastic sheeting hanging up exerywhere? Try to restrict airflow through the working area, if outdoors? Thanks!

11. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I built my boat using Axxon epoxy. It was less expensive and has a local supplier that gave me good tech support. Now, whether or not the boat will stay together is another question that will be answered this summer when I get it launched!

12. PAR

Working clean is a matter of mindset, more so than a climate controlled shop. If you're working outside, which is common in our area, hang a leanto or even just a tarp of the side of the garage (or whatever). If interested in better controls, you can hang plastic sheeting or tarps with what ever level of environmental ingress you can manage. I've done very nice paint jobs under a homemade plastic sheeting booth in my driveway. It even had a ventilation system of A/C filters and a box fan. It's all what you can do, what you're willing to do or can tolerate.

In most cases, you'll be working with smaller pieces, so a big box can keep wildlife off your fresh goo or paint.

13. Dave Brockes

Dave Brockes New Member

So Paul, My question, how hard would it be for an epoxy manufacturing place in Japan or China to actually make a Marine grade epoxy? Is it just ....additives and stir??? Cake making 101? Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.