Is Aluminum Gas Tank Ok ????

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by MATTRESS GUY, Feb 3, 2005.

1. MATTRESS GUY

MATTRESS GUY Junior Member

Hello Everyone, I Am A Commercial Fisherman In Kentucky, And I Have A Plastic Gas Tank In The Boat Now That Is Old And It Takes Up A Lot Of Room In The Boat , I Was Thinking About Building One Out Of Aluminum, So That It Can Be Put In A Place That Wont Take Up So Much Room... Will It Condensate And Put Moisture In The Fuel??? Has Any Body Tried It??? :?: Please Help...thx!!! Dennis

2. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

Aluminum is an excellent fuel tank material. We use it exclusively, from small fishing skiffs to 100 mph river racers. All the manufacturers in my neck of the woods(pacific northwest) use aluminum for their tanks as well. It is the standard. If you have any questions about design, material, application or building methods, feel free to ask.

Peace, Joey

3. MATTRESS GUY

MATTRESS GUY Junior Member

Thanks Arrow!!! I Think I Know How To Build It... I Was Just Worried That It Might Condensate And Get Moisture In The Fuel..thanks A Bunch!!!dennis

4. AlaskaFisherman

AlaskaFisherman Junior Member

My commerical boat was built in 1962. It has a 300 gallon built-in-the-hull tank = No problem. Yes, in builds up water during winter lay-up. I just pump gas until I pulg the first filter of the year and then go fish = no more problems than that.
    Have fun.