Fuel Line & Separator Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by EastJoe, Apr 7, 2012.

1. EastJoe

EastJoe New Member

I am repowering a 25' C&C 25 with a Volvo 2001 series 9 hp diesel. Need advice on fuel line, connectors and appropriate separator.

Fuel line - What would be the best fuel line diameter - 3/8, 5/16 or ?. The distance from tank to separator will be about 4- 6 ft. From separator to engine lift pump about 3 ft. This would mean a total run of up to 8- 10 ft. Would the entire run be of the same type and diameter of line (i.e. A1 fuel hose). Should I use the same diameter for the return?

Line connectors - The fuel line connects to the lift pump with a 14 mm banjo bolt. Would a barbed banjo fitting double clamped to fuel hose be sufficient? The original fitting consited of a high pressure/crimped type fitting. Is crimping really necessary? I do not believe the lift pump generates very high pressure! The reason why I am asking this is that sourcing 14 mm banjo-fitting crimped marine fuel hose with the correct bolt may be difficult and expensive.

Separator - Have been looking at Racor 500 and 200 series. Would the 200 series (e.g. Model 215) not be sufficient at a flow rate of 15 gph. It is about half the price of the 500 FG. Some people however seem to like the 500 series even for relatively small engines. The 500FG would seem like overkill with a 60 gph rated capacity. Is there some technical reason for prefering the "turbine" type 500 series? Also - I recently read that the filter/separator should not be placed close to the engine as heat may affect filter/separator performance. Is there validity to this opinion?

Thanks.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

At maximum power, the engine may use about .8 GPH, the 200 series is more than adequate. A too large filter is not a good idea because it won't have fast enough flow to create centrifugal force and separate the water in the turbine. 5/16 line is plenty and with diesel fuel you don't need A1. B2 will do fine. There is no pressure on the pickup side of the line but vacuum.

1 person likes this.
  3. EastJoe

EastJoe New Member

Thanks for response Gonzo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.