Is a marinized diesel necessary if....

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by pha7env, Mar 26, 2012.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

You can actually run a pipe, assuming your boat is steel or glass, of the same wall thickness as your hull and have your sea cock above the water line.

2. pha7env

pha7env Junior Member

Let me clarify for i may have mispoken. We originally were talking of drive trains, cooling and exhaust specifically. And although i do not want any, i did say that i would not say that i would have none. I good flush every now and then can be rather cleansing, and mother gets quite ill when she has to go over the side. On the other hand, could not any outlet that would normally go through the hull, be routed(in a hidden fashion) up and stern, over and down. I am speaking of modifications to a steel hull. I am sure i would not go that radical, and would be comfortable with closed loop plumbing being routed through, although would prefer them to be above the DWL. Like i said, i am here to learn, not to teach. And, i surely am not a fan of stainless anything, not even kitchen sinks. It can be quite deceiving in it's allure, but will turn on you when you least expect it. Have i said yet that i am really enjoying this thread. thanks all!! rj

3. pha7env

pha7env Junior Member

Since we are on thru hulls now and my original question was answered as to marinize or not, i am starting a new thread about thruhulls. Everyone please join and weigh in. I do not know how to link this thread to a new one, so you might have to look at the board to find it. Robert

4. pha7env

pha7env Junior Member

I listed the "Through hulls on passagemakers ??? " thread under boat design for any takers. I want to know your opinion on those that are necessary and those that can be avoided. Also, your safety concerns on the matter. Am i making a mountain out of a molehill with my concerns?? See ya there! robert

5. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

What Powerabout is describing is sometimes called a sea chest and is common on ships and more and more on large to meduim yachts. It is typically square or rectangular but occasionally round , comes up from the bottom of the vessel to a point above the waterline in the engine room. The top of this sea chest is removable and sometimes clear acrylic.

They are usually square or rectangular so when a valve is installed it's on a flat surface making the seal easier. The top is removable so debris can be cleared or the "outside" of a thru hull can be accessed by just reaching in from the top to below the waterline.

A sea chest usually reduces the number of thru hulls to just one, the sea chest itself. All the water needed in the engine room (engine cooling, air conditioners, watermaker, whatever) is tapped off the sea chest which is sized appropriately for the total needs.

Steve

6. DaEdster

DaEdster Boat builder

An old fella told me if you want to install a dry stack then you will need to 'tune' it, thus achieving a quiet exhaust.
    To tune it you need to have 2 pipes, that is, one slips over the man stack from the engine room, this pipe you then move up or down while the engine is running to achieve the desired effect - less noise, or if you wish a purr!

7. pha7env

pha7env Junior Member

Now the sea chest idea, i can really get ahold of. That would be something that can be readily inspected and maintained. I'll store that.

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

and if you run the vertical pipes above the water line you can pull the strainers anytime

9. pha7env

pha7env Junior Member

You could also incorporate a outlet from seawater pump, or any high flow device, back into the chest to purge the bottom strainer while in seas where you cannot manually clean. Loving this!! rj

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Is there any other way. Being able to clean intake filters and or rod it out is imperative.

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

A version of a sea chest , a box with a cover, is sometimes used over the prop.

Mostly in canal boats to clear trash folks toss in the canal, that gets wrapped in the prop, BUT it would work fine at clearing any ropes from the prop.

Might be a PIA to undo a dozen bolts ,
    but loads more friendly than jumping in 45F water with a knife in your teeth.

FF

12. pha7env

pha7env Junior Member

Can you find a link to a prop chest? I'm on board for the seachest for the inlet water, and possbily one dividing it for the outlet water also. Already have the flush system designed (in my head).

13. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

You don't wan't to mix in- and outlet in the same location..

14. pha7env

pha7env Junior Member

hmmm, guess the exits will go above the water line, and i gujess we will just have to do our long term stints in a warm climate. Darn, i was looking forward to more icy winters!LOL

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.