is a low aspect speed sailer an oxymoron

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lunatic, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Lin Olen

Lin Olen Junior Member

A Tuned Hull Plus Low aspect ratio sail is fast.

My design for the simplest flying wing simply added a modern sailplane cockpit to a low aspect ratio wing with a symetrical section. This design exceeded conventional wings by a large margin.

Why? Because a flying wing is the most efficient by far. Remember that as apparent wind doubles the wing or sail area can be reduced to one quarter the area for the same thrust.

2. Lin Olen

Lin Olen Junior Member

A Tuned Hull Plus Low aspect ratio sail is fast.

My design for the simplest flying wing simply added a modern sailplane cockpit to a low aspect ratio wing with a symetrical section. This design exceeded the performance of conventional wings by a large margin. 40 horsepower, 150 knots as an example.

Why? Because a flying wing is far more efficient. Remember that as apparent wind doubles the wing or sail area can be reduced to one quarter the area for the same thrust.

Add to this the fact that when conventional angles of attack are exceeded a powerful vortex is generated along the leading edge of the short span. The wing or sail now has a lft co-efficient typically four times greater than a conventional wing or sail.

Note also that wingtip foils, except at vry low speeds, are purely for pzazz. They actually detract from performance at speed!

Cheers, Lin Olen

3. lunatic

lunatic Senior Member

I am trying with an iceboat,wish me luck

4. OldYachtie

OldYachtie Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.