"Instant boat" design for car toppable fast row/sail boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'm thinking of building a easy to build row/sail boat for mostly calm conditions with sliding rowing seat and room for one passenger. Sailing more of an option, as I have a ketch rig from an old Folbot style 2 man I'd like to put to use.

I'm thinking of a boat about 19' by 4', with stern able to take small outboard or more likely electric trolling motor.

Car toppable important, as trailering such a big leap in hassle. I'm fairly "big and strong" so the outer-limits of car topping would be possible with use of dollies, etc.

I'd also be interested in a home-build rowing scull just stable enough to be self balancing.

Any favorite plans come to mind?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Phil Bolger's "Instant Boat" series comes to mind. Plans are sold through H.H. Payson at http://www.instantboats.com/boats.html He has quite a few designs that would be very, very close to what you're looking for. (My current boat is one of his designs- very nice, detailed yet concise plans, easy to read and accurate.)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.