Irwins vs Morgans for Blue Water Sailing

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by GatorRev, Aug 11, 2006.

1. GatorRev

GatorRev New Member

I am wanting a 41' to 46' boat to take me on idylic voyages.
    I live in in SW Florida, and would like to sail the 7 seas.

90% of my sailing will simply be in the gulf out of Charlotte Harbor, but being able to go further, even if just mentally, is quite important to me.

I have read all I can find on the Charlie Morgan boats and the Ted Irwin boats.

I am thinking a Ketch rig is the way to go for me.

I also love Center Cockpits, but they have to be large enough to sleep in.
    I am 6' tall and require a few more inchs than that to be comfy.

I am also thinking centerboard, since Fla, the Keys and the Bahamas are all so shallow.

I had a Catalina 32 that I sailed Biscayne Bay, Fla Keys, and the Bahamas on.
    It handled extremely well, and was much loved/enjoyed.

Any information or opinions will be appreciated.

I like the Irwin 46, but can probably only afford a 41.
    I hear the Morgan O I 41's don't sail well close hauled.

Anyone in here have some advice or experience??

I am open to other suggestions, but am trying to spend under $100K U.S.

Thanks in Advance
    Permission to Come Aboard!!!!!

2. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi: My father sold his OI 41 3 years ago, for my experience don't even try to put this boat go to upwind but reaching and down wind sail pretty well, in downwind you need to set your sails very good because if not you will be rolling all the trip down. Its a heavy boat with no keel like a whale, sometimes we just start the engine and forget trying to fight with this things. I have a Columbia 39 flat deck model this boats are made for speed and live aboard sometimes I arrive 2 or 3 hours before my father, I know you need a shallow draft but think about a big boat with no keel you will be motoring all the time and thats no fun my's draft 6'6 and spade rudder tall rig, try to found a boat like that, you can move your house on it. I'am selling my boat but I'am in Puerto Rico 6 days sailing from distance but try to found one locally in FL. Good luck.
    \

3. GatorRev

GatorRev New Member

Thanks Mario,

Sailing a boat from PR to Fla would be a pleasure, and not a drawback.
    Getting a boat with a 6'6" draft into any of the canals off of Charlotte harbor is impossible.
    I am leaning towards the Irwins now with a centerboard.

Any other insights are much appreciated.

Thanks

4. hiracer

hiracer Senior Member

My friend has a Morgan OI 41, which he is going to sell because he is ready to cut lines to shore and the Morgan doesn't go to windward well enough for his taste.

BTY, I would look at a Wauquiez 38, which is a Ted Hood centerboarder. High quality boat; sails well; and looks good. Hard to find, however.

5. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

Freedom 40! Definately check out some Freedom 40s. I'm not sure they've got the headroom you want in the center-cockpit model, but the only one I've been aboard was Hull #1, which had some differences compared to the production-run boats. See www.seafarer-research-center.com/modesty.htm for a pictoral walk-through of this boat (which has been sold!)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.