IRC Trade Offs

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Gone Ballistic, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic Junior Member

I am a young designer working on a 30-32ft racer/cruiser for myself. I want to be competitive in the UK and will race primarily under IRC.

Can anybody point me in the right direction, or have any advice on optimising for IRC.

Cheers

2. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

In general terms keep the rig simple, i.e. no runners,checks or jumpers, keep sail area 1-2% less than the max. allowable, for your max. High stability is looked apon with favor so pile it on (with fixed ballast). Go the RORC website and read the rule and news, as I believe that some changes are taking place for 2005. Talk to sombody like Mark Mills ( www.Millsdesign.com ) Good luck!!!

3. nico

nico Senior Member

4. DavidG

DavidG Junior Member

IRC Optimisation

Have a look at the IRC form in the IRC yearbook. Anything that is performance enhancing but not measured is worth exploring.

I would suggest you do a parametric analysis of the form factors of successful IRC boats.

You will find that successful IRC boats are quite conservative and don't push the envelope.

If you are at S'ton Institute I suggest you search out my Design Dissertation, "The Electra 35 - A Sailing Cruiser with Racing Potential", there is some analysis in the appendix.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.