Iranian Fast Attack Craft

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Nov 19, 2008.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

These look difficult to deal with, first time I've seen them.

Iranian Fast Attack Craft
    http://uskowioniran.blogspot.com/2008/06/iranian-fast-attack-craft.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is a reason the US Navy destroyed all of our PT Boats after WWII, didn't want anyone else to get a hold of them.

China has a few which are larger:
    http://www.inserve.org/index.asp?category=NEWS
    [​IMG]

New Chinese Stealthy Fast Attack Craft (Tri)
    http://www.strategypage.com/military_photos/chinese_stealth.aspx

2. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Whats the mega fast gattling gun the ships have these days designed to shoot down incoming missiles? they´d trash one of those speed boats at a mile within 5 seconds.

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I think that one assault helicopter would be enough to deal with these and others too.

Though they do look pretty impressive. Kind of modern version of italian WWII MAS boats.

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The cruise missiles have a range of at least 5 miles, do you see a problem?:eek:

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

A swarm of these attacking in heavy weather may be too much, not 100%.

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Depends on what you mean by "heavy weather"? I'm not sure these boats really fit for heavy weather ops. Low freeboard, stepped hulls, parallel spray rails... These are made for speed, not for bad weather, imho.

Probably thay can operate in the same weather conditions a helicopter can. Which makes them a loosing party.

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The upper part looks like it could go underwater/inverted like a US Coast Guard self righting rescue boat.

Many small fast targets in bad weather, with a lot of other stuff going on, in a narrow strait.......................not a good combination.

I fully accept that these craft and crew would have to be considered sacrificial if going up against a US Carrier task force (in any conditions).

Pesky and dangerous, one mistake, one error or pause in making a hard decision and the scale could tip. This we have seen many times over over the last 30 years.

Many complex US weapon systems last time I read, were on stand-by and took 20 minutes or more to become weapon ready.

http://www.mlb44.com/id1.html

http://www.mlb44.com/id7.html
    [​IMG]

http://www.mlb44.com/id3.html

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

As Kach said a swarm could do some damage! lets face it they don't have the respect for life that we in the west have, and I'm talking about themselves as much as anyone else! Fanaticism does have it's uses!

Besides which you only need one to get through, this cripples one ship that cripples the fleet looking after it! Unless we adopt their attitiude - if your hit your on your own mate! Kind goes against everything we stand for doesn't it?

9. masalai

masalai masalai

I think it is common sense to think in terms of small flexible military units - Afghanistan, Vietnam, WOT (war on terror), and many other combat zones have demonstrated that there is no military defence against guerrilla action, and the bigger the target the easier it is to disable, the BIG battle unit also demands more support, fuel and other infrastructure too....

Lets face it, BIG is only needed to deliver an overwhelming number of autonomous small weapons systems to a "safe" conflict zone access point, and from there disperse to enter the fray.... independantly but with some communication capacity to stop "own goals" (destroying allied forces)...

10. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

RHP the gun is called a CIWS (Close In Weapon System). If you ever get to hear one fire, it is something else. Some do have a new FLIR system, but until the fleet us updated to the new system they are pretty much useless against surface targets. They were designed and work very well as a final line of defense for ships, but are a far cry from a prefered weapon against fast attack vessels.

That being said the reality is that a carrier battle group carries so many weapons and support vessels there is almost no change somthing like this could even get close enough to fire its missles let alone have a chance to sink it. A normal carrier group includes not just the super carrier, but also a destroyer squadron, Aegis missle cruisers, 2-3 Missle Destroyers, a couple of attack subs and a whole mess of supply and smaller support vessels. Not to mention that carrier groups always have armed defensive planes in the sky with AWACS and other reconasance resources keeping an eye out.

I can't remember what the exclusion zone for a carrier is anymore, but I can tell you that unless you have the admirals permission, you will never see one at sea. Since they take keeping people away from these things very seriously.

11. bntii

bntii Senior Member

"U.S. Navy ships USS Port Royal (CG 73), USS Hopper (DDG 70) and USS Ingraham (FFG 61) were steaming in formation at approximately 8 a.m. as they finished a routine Strait of Hormuz transit when five boats, suspected to be from the Islamic Republic of Iran Revolutionary Guard Navy (IRGCN), maneuvered aggressively in close proximity of the Hopper. Following standard procedure, Hopper issued warnings, attempted to establish communications with the small boats and conducted evasive maneuvering
    http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=34207

Video of above:
    http://www.breitbart.tv/html/26424.html

Estimated fleet of 1000 of these currently in Hormuz Straight.

12. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

threat to our Navy

the Navy has the same 30 MM rapid fire cannon on almost all of the fleet.
    That is the same weapon on the nose of the Warthog. 2 mile range all automatic. Maybe they think Alla still has vigins to give them in the after-life. They would be fools to try but religous stupidy may temp them. 50 cals reach out almost 2 miles for the lucky ones. 500 of those would be detroyed in 20 minutes at the most if they attacked a carrier fleet. Ramming is allowed.

13. masalai

masalai masalai

And had they been fired upon - a major international incident "shooting at some recreational water craft" and possible retaliation against USA - - or - - they could have also been on a suicide bomb mission - - or - - a provocative venture to see who blinks.... ? See my post 9....and "the enemy" can try again pushing a little closer.... USA looses every way....

14. masalai

masalai masalai

rasorinc same as WW11 Kamikaze pilots could only be stopped one way and be quick about it... from that distance if the bomb is not hit it gets to the targeted big item....

15. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

threat to our Navy

The big difference, as you know Masalai, is these are floating targets not going 300mph, OH, our sailers would love it, That is the danger of war for civilized people. We might celebrate to much.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.