iPhone navigation app

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Manie B, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I am trying to find a easy app for iPhone with which you can plan a trip on Google earth where there are no maps or charts available. The good thing about Google earth is that you can go back in time and see the dam or river when it was very low and exposed rocks and obstacles are visible.

Now you can mark these waypoints and lay down a track which you can follow when the dam is full and the rocks are hidden below surface.

There are 1000's of apps but I cant find a simple one to lay down a track, mark waypoints AND THEN see where I am on that track.

Some of them allow you to drop pins but wont show all the pins.
    Google earth on iPhone with its two finger pan and tilt is terrible
    ITunes store is the most frustrating site to visit

any ideas ???

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

here are pics

Attached Files:

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

good pics

Attached Files:

4. yipster

yipster designer

Try android ;-P
    However i do recall Steve Jobs had / has an app on his yacht he could control just bout everything with didnt he?

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Have you looked at the MotionX App?

You can overlay a multitude of different maps and it shows all waypoints. Google, Bing, NOAA...

It was a whopping $2.99 US when I got it so it's a bit pricey.:D

Additionally, It looks like you can import waypoints or routes. The format of the phone is small for the NOAA maps, but that doesn't apply due to your location. An iPad sized device might be a little friendlier to use. It has NAV to waypoints, but I've not tried navigating a route. It also uses battery fairly rapidly(6-8 hours?), so you'll want to use an external power source if you were to use it continuously.

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

FANTASTIC

it really does what I wanted - totally happy

7. ALANDRADEINC

ALANDRADEINC New Member

hi, first I can recommend you change to android,
    and second MARINE GEOGARAGE, changes is the concept of nautical electronic charts viewing,
    you don't "own" anymore the charts, just "use" them and share them, anytime, anywhere you are via computer, mobile phone or any other Internet enabled personal device.
    The Cloud computing part of the service provides some resources in back-end to ensure regular processes for updating the charts.

Enjoy
    alandradeinc

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

For weather routing and grib file organization Ive using Weather Track for Ipad.

Cheap as chips, very good.

For backup navigation Im using Isailor. These are high quality Transas Marine charts. Pro stuff.

Again, the Ipad version is cheap as chips.

Attached Files:

9. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Geogarage looks like a great app........for an iPhone/iPad. No Android usage I could find.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.