IOR designs w/o mainsail for Ocean Crossing

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by waeshael, Mar 24, 2013.

1. waeshael

waeshael Junior Member

Anyone else experienced ocean crossing w/o a mainsail. What boats and any balance issues?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have sailed the trades with two headsails set on poles. It is an easy way to make a boat self-steer.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A boat at sea missing its mainsail will be very underpowered... slow and rolley. a mainsail , when sheeted and prevented , acts to stabilize the boat.

Why would you want to sail without a mainsail ?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Two genoas have more sail area than a mainsail and a genoa. IOR boats had smallish mainsails. The double headsail arrangement dampens the roll and is used by many sailors. I have gone up to ten days downwind without hardly touching anything.

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I'm not clear on your question. Do you have a well founded boat with a servicable main and are asking about electing not to set it, or are you asking about embarking without a servicable mainsail aboard? I wouldn't want to do the latter. The main is required to balance the boat when reefed. Particulary if shorthanded and unable to drive it hard in heavy weather.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.