inventions and innovations related to boats

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by zmfmd, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Beautiful boats... Norsafe.....? Ok, the Fast rescue boat Magnum 750 is kind of disturbing "beautiful", but the rest is practical, and from a "form follows function" concept. I like most of them though.

Much cheaper..... ?
    When I worked there I actually said a couple of times to the fellas in the sales department; "WHAT? Have you sold THAT BOAT for THIS??!!" So, ask Sorensen for a price, you might be surprised...

A recreational 21 foot boat, that can be inverted/ self rightening? Sounds like my kind of recreation, but I'm only one man, though...don't represent too much of a buyers market. I've heard the rumour that some people tends to be worried with green water above the windows. Probably only a rumour...

Questions... No problem with that.:cool:

If you file for a patent, you'll have a "grace" period, that give you legal rights for quite a lot of this world (at least that's the Norwegian rules/ international agreements), were you may go public, test, alter the design some, within some limitations. Check what rights you'll get if you apply as mentioned above.... It may be sufficent defence for you to go ahead, then, if it still seem like a good idea, seek investors.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

#13, alan white: also you seem to have had some experience with patenting..so what happend?

Luckily, I personally (?) learned my lesson from a friend who went through the process, did everything right, even got grants from the state, and ended up broke. I don't want to disuade anyone from following their dream, but go through the patent archives sometime, sticking with a subject you personally understand well, and ask yourself whether the patents you stumble across have ever been successful. The marketing can be a risky expense too---- many established corporations see their marketing campaigns fail every day.
    I have invented dozens of things but after coming up against the question of whether i should sink my savings and time into any one of them, I balked.
    The problem is, those of us who really can invent new things suddenly get cast out into an entirely different arena, one which we don't understand, where we are no longer experts at anything. You'd be amazed, I'm sure at what the world would look like if all of the inventions out there made it into use. We'd be at least a hundred years ahead of where we are.

3. grob

grob www.windknife.com

The way I use patents is to initially submit the patent myself, this is free in the UK for the first 12 months, before 12 months is up you have to pay for searches, and you have an opportunity to resubmit the patent to improve the wording.

During that 12 months of grace I hike my idea around or build it and test it, if by the end of the 12 months I have not convinced anyone to licence it I let it go.

It has cost me nothing and it has set me a time goal, before you ask I have never yet persuaded anyone to licence any of my ideas but I keep trying. I usually limit myself to 3 patents/ideas a year, I find anymore than that is too much for me to handle.

Gareth

4. alex folen

alex folen Flynpig

You wrote, #11, alex folen: so can you share with us your experience with the patent, what happened 7 years ago?

Working for a big company 7 years ago it cost hundreds of thousands dollars to patent chemical formulations we scientists make. Da heck with that when you’re just a tinkerer. I looked for the cheapest route, maybe not the safest though but something. I have several patents and one STC in the works for certificated aircraft (modifications I’d like to think). Along with ideas and a prototype towards experimental aircraft in the safer and more airworthy design of inexpensive power plants, and of which only a few make it to the USPTO (via me) just because ya never know. Actually it's not the $ but the thrill, and safety I’m hoping. No doubt a mouth piece professional, and perhaps a good(?) one, you will or may need. But ,in time, if the product or idea is good you will eventually pick up someone with some bucks. This happens 90% of the time. You will have done the hard parts and hopefully protected your efforts in some way at least cheeply. Not sure if "idea" or copyright stuff stands as well as a very detailed description submitted as I have done. BTW I started the process on my end for your boat. Thanks partner!

5. alex folen

alex folen Flynpig

zmfmd wrote, #11, alex folen: so can you share with us your experience with the patent, what happened 7 years ago?

Working for a big company 7 years ago it cost hundreds of thousands dollars to patent chemical formulations we scientists make. Da heck with that when you’re just a tinkerer. I looked for the cheapest route, maybe not the safest though but something. I have several patents and one STC in the works for certificated aircraft (modifications I’d like to think). Along with ideas and a prototype towards experimental aircraft in the safer and more airworthy design of inexpensive power plants, and of which only a few make it to the USPTO (via me) just because ya never know. Actually it's not the $ but the thrill, and safety I’m hoping. No doubt a mouth piece professional, and perhaps a good(?) one, you will or may need. But ,in time, if the product or idea is good you will eventually pick up someone with some bucks. This happens 90% of the time. You will have done the hard parts and hopefully protected your efforts in some way at least cheeply. Not sure if "idea" or copyright stuff stands as well as a very detailed description submitted as I have done. BTW I started the process on my end for your boat. Thanks partner!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.