Introduction

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Kevin H., Aug 30, 2004.

1. Kevin H.

Kevin H. Junior Member

Hi there,

I just happened upon this site a couple of days ago and spent a few days lurking to get a feel for how things went around here. I've gotta' say this is a very cool forum. The vast majority of topics around here just go *whoosh* right over my head though. Hopefully that'll change as I learn more, obviously.

I've been around boats all my life (primarily small speed-boats). Growing up I've had and/or driven a bunch of boats from 8' plywood hydroplanes to my father's 22' STV. I've never had a sailboat though, but hopefully that will change in a few weeks and I'll start teaching myself how those go to.

The aspect of "design" has only intrigued me very recently. While on vacation this summer in Halifax NS I saw Destination Fox Harb'r for the first time. I was blown away! That has got to be one of the most beautiful things afloat (imo). As soon as I got home I started looking things up, reading, researching, buying mags and stuff. Until then I never even realized just how fascinating this industry is.

Interestingly, my last year of high-school I actually took Architecture (not naval of course, but the idea of designing stuff was already there 10 years ago) with the idea of studying that after I graduated but real-life came along and changed my plans. (Ya' know, real job... real bills, etc....)

Now, 10 years later I'm in an interesting position: The province of Quebec (where I live and work) obliges employers to spend a certain amount of money each year on training and "improvng" their employees. This training can be in the field of work the person is in, or in something completely different and non-related. As long as the employee is given the chance to learn something new and improve their future potential the gov't is happy. (Basically, they want companies to pay to make people smarter to eventually reduce the possibility of unemployment.) So, I now have the chance to learn whatever I'd like at my employers expense (within reason of course...)

Basically, I'm researching Westlawn and YDS. I haven't picked one or the other yet, but either way.. this looks to be a really interesting future. Whether or not I ever actually work as a designer doesn't make a huge difference since my current job is very secure and has great perks... but the chance to learn something fascinating like yacht design is a chance to cool to pass up.

2. Clem

Clem New Member

Go for it Kev!

It sounds like you have some important decisions to make but you are getting ready to take the plunge. Remember as ratty said to mole " theres nothing that is quiet so enjoyable as messing about with boats". I hope that you get a chance to sail before you get too entrenched with 'stink boats' as sail is in my opinion by far and away the more fasinating type of craft. Anyway 'have a go mate' and good luck.
    Clem

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.