Cool campstove idea

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Tiny Turnip, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Thought this was a pretty neat idea for a campstove - the fan driven rocket stove, but instead of using batteries to run the fan, they've powered it from (presumably) a thermocouple, and while they're at it, offer USB charging as well.

http://www.biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

[​IMG]

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Holy Mackerel !!! Camping with Iphones ? Im really behind the times

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

It isn't available yet, apparently. There's a page to reserve one when they start shipping, but there's no price yet....

4. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

they're offering it at $129 on the overview page for the campstove.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

how much for the waterproof, asbestos lined Ipod cover?:D:D Hi temp USB cord? To heck with the Ipod- how about plugging in one of those electric mouse repellers.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I've made my share of hobo stoves over the years, using 3 lb coffee cans. The secret is to drop the top into the can, before using a church key to put vents around the bottom of it. When you turn the can over the punch-outs hold it in place, giving you a double top. That evens out the heat and prevents burn-out.

The link below shows the basic idea. But I've never gone to all their bother of setting up the fancy damper cover with bolts, wires and all that, after cutting out the four-inch damper opening. It's so much simpler just to cut the top and bottom out of another can, cut it down to about half-height, split it up the side and cut 3 or 4 inches out of it, and slip it over the bottom of the main can. Just twisting it one way or the other opens or closes the damper hole....

For a quick and dirty stove you just punch draft holes in one side of the lower end of the stove, and control the draft by turning it so the lower vent holes face into the wind, away from it, or somewhere in between.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yourself/how-to-make-hobo-stove-zmaz84zloeck.aspx

edit: I do like the idea of the Biolite stove, though. Add in the USB charger/LED light, and you can't argue with what you're getting from burning a handful of sticks.

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Yeah, I was just demonstrating that you can save $128.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.