Introduction and a Question

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by AndyC, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Anyone who laughs at pencils is simply not thinking. Our whole society builds on what we can do with our hands that other animals cannot. Without pencils, we would not be far away from being apes.

Computers are fine but they aren't very good artists, once WE have created what we want (using pencils...), they are way superior though (and I must say that I wouldn't want to do what I do without one :D )

Mikey

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

No, we are not laughing! Many designers will use a pencil for the curves and then move to the computer for calculations and production drawings.
    See for example, Dudley Dix, http://www.dixdesign.com/ch21.htm :
    "When I was designing the Cape Cutter 19 I found that I could easily fair the chines in my CAD programs but had problems visualizing the proportions of the panels relative to the overall profile and each other. I did not feel confident of producing a hull that would look good from all angles, so I returned to the old steam powered drawing board to draw the basic lines. After that I went back into the CAD programs for minor tweaking of fairness and to produce 3D rendered images so that I could look at her from all angles. The result is a boat that is attractive from wherever she is seen."