Bristol Channel Cutter with a cute Butt

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kudu, Sep 23, 2005.

1. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Hello All...I'm trying to locate plans for a stout 28' to 30' Bristol Channel Cutter look alike with a double ended stern. So far have I've had no luck. Though I appreciate the features of the BCC, can't justify the price! Any ideas where I might find plans for such a solid sea worthy boat? Thanks

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Maurice Griffiths was a very prolific designer and wrote many books on sail boat design.

You might check with the librarys loan service , and see what they can find.

Doubble enders are slower than transom boats , but I believe he did some with pointy sterns.

FAST FRED

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Bristol Channel Cutter with cute butt

Kudu - try a web search for Bristol Pilot Cutter. Your description of a double ender sounds as though it would fit this craft. Adding 'Channel' may confuse the 'engine.'
    And as for Fast Fred's assertion that 'double enders' are slower than transom craft. Don't know which double enders you've sailed, but all I can say is they must have been badly trimmed or handled, or both. :confused:

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Don't make me agree with you, now, Bergalia... :)

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Bristol Chanel Cutter with cute butt

Sorry Saildesign - a momentary lapse. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.... (mutters left of stage...'double enders slower than transom boats..'... double Pah...double humbug....)
    But back to Kudu's query.
    Bill Tilman was a great fan of the Bristol Cutter - he owned three. For a bit more detail on these beautiful little gaff-rigged craft you might try:

www.complay.net/tilman/body_sea_breeze

Great photographs - but unfortunately no plans.
    Bear in mind it's best part of two decades since I lived in the UK, but you might also contact the City of Bristol Museum (I'm sure they have a web site) and will probably be glad to point you in the right direction (builders, privately owned craft etc - even model builders so you can scale up the plans). Anyway, good luck. She's a classic craft and in my youth (turn of the 18th century) I can remember them ploughing through the channel, on our way to Cardiff and all points Welsh... :rolleyes:

6. Vega

Vega Senior Member

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

So close as to make little difference, Vega. Beautiful, and dressed for the ball...Well spotted. ;)

8. kudu

kudu Senior Member

She's so close to perfection

Many thanks to everyone that responded! Vega, that double ender from Burnett Yacht Design is flirtin' with perfection! She is soooo sweet from both ends! Any idea what her length might be? I'm going to investigate further...Thanks again

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Pssstttt...Kudu - Vega prefers to be called Paulo...it's his boat which is Vega. (Vega II)
    :D
    But in salivating over the Burnett Cutter - I admire your taste. ;) On the other hand don't forget that 'Fast Fred's' warning that double enders are slower than transoms (tee hee hee....) :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The canoe sterned boats get sucked down far more at speed than the better boats with a normal transom.

Perhaps rowing as a lifeboat backwards to pick up survivors the canoe stern will excell, but for speed there not quite as fast as most.

The usual "rule" is 1.34 times sq rt LWL for conventional sterned boats.

The doubble enders usually only get 1.15 or so before the stern sinks alarmingly, dragging a wall of water.Not a big deal on a 28ft LWL , but enough to be slower.

I spent a couple of years as outfitter for the CT Westsail dealer , so have sailed these boats in many weather cond.

Lots of times the owners were novices and would need help with reefing and the use of storm sails ect . So I'm used to pushing them toward hull speedwith reasonable (20 to 40K) of breeze.

Their not as bad as many would say , as the sales folks used the "all up ready to depart for the Horn "weight as disapmacement. Not the real vessels weight.

The West coast constructed hulls were fine , the East coast boats may have SEVERE structural hassels , Keels departing ect.

Caviat Emptor!

FAST FRED

11. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

12. Vega

Vega Senior Member

13. Vega

Vega Senior Member

well, there is no problem in calling me Vega. Mr Vega is what sounds strange to me :p

Bergalia, take a look at the other traditional designs from Burnett, I know you are going to love it.

http://www.burnettyachtdesign.co.uk/saildesign.html

If i had to chose, it will be this one:

http://www.burnettyachtdesign.co.uk/imagesheets/116-pic.html

I have owned a boat of this kind, 20 years ago (traditional Portuguese sail boat) and I miss arriving to a port and see lots of sailors disappearing inside their boats.... and coming back with a camera. :)

14. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Take a look at this guys stuff, it is pretty good. If I knew what size range you were looking for it would make it easier to direct you. There are soooo many beautiful choices to be made. If I could keep a stable of them......

http://www.gartsideboats.com/catsail3.php#winrow

15. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

If you want to see some REAL heartbreakers in this size range, check out the Danish spitzgatters or how about Aage Nielsons designs or some of Bob Perrys designs (I don't want to hear any lip here about the Westsail 32, he did a lot of other really great double enders).
    Cast an eye over all the Scandeheuvian boats...it sounds like you are more drawn to those more than the English designs....just a guess.
    If I am wrong take a look at the Oystermen and Cocklers of England. Many people in North America confuse the Smacks and Bawleys ( and their modern yacht evolutions) with the Pilot Boats of the Bristol channel. Different beasts really. Take a look at the French smacks as well they have some lovely lines.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.