"My Reputation Points" (Off-topic Split)

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by frosh, Sep 29, 2006.

1. frosh

frosh Senior Member

The importance of reputation points!

OPEN LETTER TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS
    This is only slightly off topic, and I ask your indulgence at the outset.
    I notice that currently the number of reputation points that have been attributed to Doug Lord and myself are now an identical numerical value, i.e. 21.
    He has recently gone up quite a lot, while I have gone done quite a lot, until now we have equal reputations.

Now I can only draw one of two conclusions from this personally very embarrassing situation.

FIRST POSSIBILITY: Reputation points are in fact meaningless, and are much in the same category as votes for "wanne be's", competing for "American Idol" talent (sic?) competition.

SECOND POSSIBILITY: Many forum members are not impressed by my sense of humour/ technical contributions, and honestly believe that Doug Lord is more the real enchilada than me.

It is not my position to tell anyone how to vote in rewarding, or penalizing forum members, but really! I think that this result, in the case of DOUG LORD versus FROSH, shows some serious lack of insight amongst some members that read the posts thoughtfully, and then decide to make votes on another's members reputation. With all respect to all forum members.
    Please note; that this posting (unlike many others of mine I readily admit), is not intended to be an attack on anyone, nor tongue in cheek, nor sarcastic.

2. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

There it is!!

3 people like this.
  3. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

Third possibility - people dislike all the name calling and slanging.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

I recall a wonderfully friendly quote from gggGuest, who knows a thing or two about name calling and slanging:

"... when you wrestle with a pig"

Yep, my friend, right out of your mouth, so to speak. Did someone say irony?

One can't expect anyone to recognize civility or a lack of personalization if one can't do it themselves. Statements like that are typically employed by those who have run out of conversational ideas, so they resort to terms like: absurd, ridiculous, etc., as well as quaint phrases such as the one abbreviated above.

Take a wander back through the miscellaneous postings on this entire "foiling genre" and observe just where in the respective conversations the tone turned south. I think you'll find that it happens at a distinct moment when the, shall we say, "fervent one" refuses to respectfully acknowledge that there just might be alternate arguments to the People's Line. That is followed by a tone that turns testy and begins to use a distinctly heated and limited collection of the potential vocabulary choices available.

When it turns to a personalization in that fashion, it's only reasonable to expect that otherwise patient folks will have a say of their own in response.

1.) If one doesn't care for the overall tone, then perhaps we could all discover, collectively, just how to fashion a response to the "fervent one" and the incessant posturing that accompanies the over-stated and relentless position.

2.) Since enough good people choose to ignore the oft-repeated position statements of the "fervent one", it also seems they could ignore the responses as well.

3. It looks as if the collective body is as irritated by the responses as the respondents are of the "fervent one". That would put the collective body and the respondents in the same camp, distinctly in opposition to the primary instigator of said conflicts.

One can only wonder, then, why more of the collective are not also of the mood to do something about the "fervent one".

Now, I do also see the point about taking the responses to such a level of foolishness that it seems to have taken on a life of its own, well beyond that needed to effect a group correction... But, one can also say that the "fervent one" has still not gotten the message, no matter what countering tactic is employed.

So rather than begin to point fingers all about and inspire a whole new level of animosity, how about a conversation about how to collectively limit the behavior of the "fervent one" so that the overall process can be more amenable to the group as a whole.

It has been observed that this is not the first such group to become seriously decomposed in its demeanor by the behavior of the "fervent one". Perhaps there is a very big lesson in that knowledge for all of us?

Ultimately, it's up to the Group Owner as to who can continue to participate, but from a practical standpoint, it's up to you, the members, as to how you all want to see this place function. The reputation number is the beginning of a good idea, but nobody really seems to pay much attention to it and it's too easy to be rewarded by a series of fluky individual takes on an off-color outburst.

That’s really the question here.

How about we address that reality?

5. Dan S

Dan S Junior Member

Well said Sir.

6. frosh

frosh Senior Member

The insult is just too much to bear!

Groucho Marks once said that "I would hate to belong to any club that was stupid enough to accept me as a member". It might sound like Groucho's typical sense of dry humour, but there is a hell of a lot of truth in it, and very little humour.
    Now that a number of ****** have dramatically increased Doug Lord's reputation points, and dropped mine further, it is time to do a Groucho, and say that I would hate to be a member of a certain boating forum if they still are prepared to tolerate me. There must be something drastically wrong with many of you. BTW I don't really give a **** about reputation points.
    Au Revoir!

7. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

frosh,

Do your parents know you are using bad langauge & calling people names on the computer?

TGoz

1 person likes this.
  8. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

Just by bringing this up, you lost my points, but how the hell do I delete them.

Who the F cares about points if you not a point *****?

This thing is about boats, yachts and what goes with them.

2 people like this.
  9. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

i agree with u richard iam getting sick listening to those two someone should stick them on a boat in the middle of the atlantic, and let them ***** to there hearts are content. if i want to hear nagging and bitching i switch the commputer off and listen to the wife

2 people like this.
  10. Dan S

Dan S Junior Member

ok who was the a** that took a point from me for post number 5? It's not that i care, but atleast be man enough to put you name to it.

11. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

all you guys are letting this point thing ,take over your lifes,I really dont care ,because Im pretty secure with my manhood,,,,,,,,,and what I know about boats,not really interested in who thinks what of me ,online,,,,,,whats important to me is (realworld) frosh ,dan and the rest of ya ,,give it a rest ,,live life a little ,,,,,go work on your boats and relaxe a little,,,,or your gonna have a heart attack worring about a few bogus points?

2 people like this.
  12. Dan S

Dan S Junior Member

Long,

As I said, I really don’t care about the points thing. It’s a matter of principle in my opinion. If someone has a problem with me in (real world, or net) then they should step forward and speak up, not lay back in obscurity and throw stones.

1 person likes this.
  13. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

fourth possibility-ive never seen any posts from you (froth) apart from this one

(god this keyboards irritating!)

14. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

'Now I can only draw one of two conclusions from this personally very embarrassing situation.'

embarrsing?why you embarrased? and how old are you?
    PS:yes your way OFF-Topic now.

15. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

how do you check your points ,to see who says what?

1 person likes this.
< Internet Defamation | First Empression >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.